Hanging Sheetrock Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I sometimes run sheets up and down is I hate doing end seams. I also have a pole sander and doing an up and down seam seem like a lot less work. I normally can’t haul or carry much more than an 8’ sheet without breaking it so I just stick with 8’s.

I got married in a church with the same name. Looks like they were having fun doing it.

There is cheat the next time you tape with paper, take a plastic bucket and cut 1/8" X 2 1/2" slot in each side at the bottom. Slide the paper thru and just out the other side and fill the bucket with filler. now when you pull the paper thru it has a layer of filler on it. Two people can tape in a hurry.

When you stand them up and the studs don't work out just stick in another stud on the flat. Screws thru the first sheet will hold it in place, strips of plywood works too.

I got married in a church with the same name. Looks like they were having fun doing it.

There is cheat the next time you tape with paper, take a plastic bucket and cut 1/8" X 2 1/2" slot in each side at the bottom. Slide the paper thru and just out the other side and fill the bucket with filler. now when you pull the paper thru it has a layer of filler on it. Two people can tape in a hurry.

When I use paper tape I'll tear off a piece to do the seam and dunk it in a bucket of water. If I'm doing a corner I fold it before I put it in the water. The self adhesive stuff just eliminates a step of laying down a bed of mud before you put in the tape. The tape is more expensive than plain paper, but it is a time saver for this novice mudder. I've used all types, if they have the perforated paper I'll use it first though.

I like your bucket idea, I may have to make myself one. Though space can be an issue in getting my array of tools to WV. I prefer to bring all my own tools when possible. I usually bring a bin with drywall tools, two rolling tool boxes, one with an assortment of hand tools and the other with cordless tools and another bin with my hammer drill, multi-tool and roto-zip along with a briefcase sized plastic tote with miscellaneous screws, nails, wire nuts and the like. With these projects you just never know what you'll need. I had to scale back to the drywall tool bin with a few hand tools thrown in due to space going up to WV.

We had a good time. I'm the guy in the white T-shirts, my oldest brother is working with me and the other team is a father and son team. I know the father from work. My sister went along as well, she was working on another project. ASP does great work in the Appalachia area of WV, VA, KY and TN making homes warmer, safer, drier.

Just checking Sparky.

Did someone die during your trip to WV or were you guys using an American flag as a drop cloth?
:confused:

When I use paper tape I'll tear off a piece to do the seam and dunk it in a bucket of water. If I'm doing a corner I fold it before I put it in the water. The self adhesive stuff just eliminates a step of laying down a bed of mud before you put in the tape. The tape is more expensive than plain paper, but it is a time saver for this novice mudder. I've used all types, if they have the perforated paper I'll use it first though.

I like your bucket idea, I may have to make myself one. Though space can be an issue in getting my array of tools to WV. I prefer to bring all my own tools when possible. I usually bring a bin with drywall tools, two rolling tool boxes, one with an assortment of hand tools and the other with cordless tools and another bin with my hammer drill, multi-tool and roto-zip along with a briefcase sized plastic tote with miscellaneous screws, nails, wire nuts and the like. With these projects you just never know what you'll need. I had to scale back to the drywall tool bin with a few hand tools thrown in due to space going up to WV.

We had a good time. I'm the guy in the white T-shirts, my oldest brother is working with me and the other team is a father and son team. I know the father from work. My sister went along as well, she was working on another project. ASP does great work in the Appalachia area of WV, VA, KY and TN making homes warmer, safer, drier.

The buckets I have used are what ever I find laying around a site, screwed to a board and another nail to flop the paper roll on and you are away.

No ties to any group in Iowa?

Just checking Sparky.

Did someone die during your trip to WV or were you guys using an American flag as a drop cloth?
:confused:

It was the home owners flag. I moved the stuff out of the way to do the mudding. We have to tread lightly with the homeowners. This one was great, some times they are borderline hoarders and you spend half the day moving stuff out of the way to do your work.

No ties to any group in Iowa?

None with me. Our church is in Cary and Appalachia Service Project is based out of Tennessee with year round centers in KY, VA and WV. I've worked at both the Jonesville VA and Guyan Valley WV centers.

www.asphome.org

Just did a small project where I used this stuff instead of paper. i think it worked pretty well. Wondering if anybody else has tried it...

I've never seen it before. Is it self stick or do you apply a coat of mud first? Or does the mud going overtop ooze through and hold it in place? I'd think the fiberglass would keep it from cracking.

The mud can ooze right thru it - not as much as mesh, but I did put down a coat first to fill the seam. No instructions or advice came with it, so I did what came naturally.

Is there a problem with my math or is 8 ft 3/4 inch not the same as 96 3/4.
When do you stop with cute.

When you stop with the erroneous statements, "Your walls should be 8' 1 1/8"."

Which by the way, is 97-1/8".

When you stop with the erroneous statements, "Your walls should be 8' 1 1/8"."

Which by the way, is 97-1/8".

You know what your problem is, you talk down to people like you know everything when you should be asking questions.

But then it was right there for you to figure it out, our studs or 92 1/4"
Perhaps you should question yourself before you bother other people with the cute nonsense.

You know what your problem is, you talk down to people like you know everything when you should be asking questions.

But then it was right there for you to figure it out, our studs or 92 1/4"
Perhaps you should question yourself before you bother other people with the cute nonsense.

Then you could continue with your erroneous statements, unabated?

And who would be the beneficiary of that, certainly not the participants.

That's OK you heart felt apology is understood.:clap:

Why would you think I would apologize for your mistake?

So, before you continue to jump your own shark, be so kind to read your post #6 paying close attention to "stud length," and then #29 and "+ plate stock."

Why would you think I would apologize for your mistake?

So, before you continue to jump your own shark, be so kind to read your post #6 paying close attention to "stud length," and then #29 and "+ plate stock."

Yea I saw that and was wondering way you continued after figuring it out.
Not sure what you are trying to prove but I think most people here are getting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back