Hello from Fairview Park Ohio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris LaBoda

Reaction score
Planning on replacing the windows on my porch this summer and need advice how to frame for them. I have worked in new home construction for the last 30+ years wiring homes for audio / video. I am sure I can figure it out with some advice. Don't want to get red tagged....

:welcome: to the forum.

If you can post some photos we should be able to offer some help.

Here is the framing I will be doing on the longest wall. Its a combination of existing framing and new framing. The photo is of the windows I will be replacing.

Attachments

• North Wall.PNG
    North Wall.PNG
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    318.4 KB · Views: 0
My guess is there is a header that is supported post to post from the two outside corners. If that is the case nothing in the wall is really load bearing. Even if that is the case I would run all the studs like the ones between the windows and to the sides of the windows fully from the bottom plate to the header. depending on the siding choice or if you will be taking what is there down you can then add back on 16" centers what you need for nailing.

My guess is there is a header that is supported post to post from the two outside corners. If that is the case nothing in the wall is really load bearing. Even if that is the case I would run all the studs like the ones between the windows and to the sides of the windows fully from the bottom plate to the header. depending on the siding choice or if you will be taking what is there down you can then add back on 16" centers what you need for nailing.
Yes, there is a header running the full length. The windows are aluminum frames with a single pane of glass. The frame is just enough to support the window and nothing else. The framing will wave 1/2" OSB on top of the studs and then vinyl siding. The house was built in 1959 and they don't build them like that anymore. Brick with block behind it, total thickness 10". Even block separating the garage from the living areas. I want to make sure I am on the right track when I submit the plans to the building department. I will post back their input.

In general they IMO will be looking for continues studs top to bottom where possible and then cripple studs where needed for 16 OC nailing. Zig Zagging down thru the wall tends to look less professional IMO. From a wind load perspective along with a nice flat finished wall top to bottom is what I would show them along with noting nothing in the wall is load bearing showing how the header and header sizing has been done.

Back