Help locate a drain fitting?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I just say that reading this thread is like trying to teach a patient about things they need to do to reverse/slow down a disease process.

I just wish that this much effort could be put to use in teaching those of us who want to learn how to do things right!

There arent alot of things you 'have' to do in my area either, but... I still want to do them right the first time because I only want to do it one time (hopefully)

my :2cents: worth

Nestor,
This is what I was talking about...

9a35a0cb.jpg

Redwood:

No, I disagree.

What you're calling two parts; a "locknut for PVC electrical conduit" and "ABS coupling" is (I believe) a single piece; it's an ABS pipe thread adapter. It has a socket on one end and a male NPT pipe thread on the other. You use it in an instance exactly like this one.

If it's actually some kind of locknut attached to an ABS coupling, then what holds it together? There is no visible glue between the locknut and the ABS coupling, and I would't expect to see a gap between the electrical lock nut and the galvanized elbow if they're glued together. If, however, this is an ABS pipe thread adapter, then I'd expect to see that gap since pipe threads are tapered. In fact, I think I see either pipe dope or teflon tape in the gap between them.

Also, why are you calling the horizontal pipe "PVC Electrical Conduit"?

Schedule 40 PVC pipe is available in both gray and white. Schedule 80 PVC pipe is only available in gray so far as I know. And, the grey PVC schedule 40 and 80 pipe I've seen looks just like the pipe that you're calling electrical conduit.

Maybe ask to see some schedule 80 PVC pipe next time you're at your wholesalers, and tell me it's not the same colour as the horizontal pipe in that picture. It's the same colour to my eyes.

IndustrialPlasticPipe.com -- Your source for pvc pipe, pipe plastic, pvc furniture, pvc fittings, pipe fittings, pvc-pipe, pvc pipe fittings, flexible pipe poly pipe, pvc pipes.

PVC Pipe - US Plastic Corporation

PS: Your local plumbing wholesaler might not carry Schedule 80 PVC pipe or even fittings because residential water supplies are generally fairly low pressure. If there's an agricultural bulk dealer or any company that specializes in agricultural (and other kinds of) spraying equipment near you, they will sell both Schedule 80 PVC pipe and fittings as well as stainless steel pipe and fittings. Agricultural spraying of herbicides and pesticides is done at much higher pressures than you find in typical plumbing applications. I'm not sure why they use stainless steel piping and fittings in spray applications (except perhaps to handle corrosive fluids, maybe).

Last edited:
Nestor,
There is no point in further debate...
There is so much wrong here it's not worth talking about and you saw the quality of the person posting in that deleted thead yesterday...

Wanna add one more...
Minimum pipe size in this application is 2"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back