Help - Questions about chemicals in vinyl install - foul odor, health problems - Global Gem Flooring

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On The Road Now

Reaction score
I am looking for some help from someone more knowledgeable about what chemicals may be involved in a vinyl floor installation. I got vinyl installed in September 2022. Global Gem Flooring vinyl installed by 50 Floor. Since then there has been a very strong chemical odor. I am wondering what chemicals may be involved in a vinyl install, because the smell is horrible and it is affecting my health. Neither the installer or manufacturer will give me any useful information.

More info:

I have allergies and am sensitive to some chemicals. I thought having vinyl instead of carpet would help. However, there is a very strong chemical smell now. Even when I leave my house I can smell it for hours, so I'm guessing it takes a while to get out of my system. I get sick every day I am in the house, headaches, sinus problems etc. Taking multiple antihistamines a day helps a little, but not much. Because of the foul odor and health problems, I really hate being at home now and can't invite anyone over.

It's just underlayment and vinyl, they didn't glue it down (according to the person I called at 50 Floor). Although I did notice that they left a lot of sawdust and vinyl dust in my floor vents because they cut the vinyl right over the vent. So I tried to vacuum it out of the ducts.

I tried taking some vinyl out of the box and smelling it, and the smell doesn't seem to be very strong, although that was just one piece of vinyl.

Does anybody know anything about the chemicals in vinyl and underlayment / luan? What chemicals might cause this strong odor? Could something like this cause long term health issues? Any recommendations?

Back