Help with Outside Garage Lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did look under the caps before, can't tell the colour of the wires because they have black shrink wrap or some kind of protective wrap on them. But I will check it for power.

I did look under the caps before, can't tell the colour of the wires because they have black shrink wrap or some kind of protective wrap on them. But I will check it for power.

The cable should look like the stuff in the switch box or there would have to be a junction box some where.

Remember if you are checking for power like that, turn off the garage feed at the main breaker box and only supply power at the switch so you would know what ever you find would be the right one.

Last edited:
Looking in the box where the switch is, there does not appear to have conduit.
The caps can be opened where the conduit comes out of the house and into the garage.

Yes no?

If you mean the "big lumps" clarified in post #75, them yes those proximity testers will detect the presence of voltage.

And now that he has removed the LB covers, and found what he assumes is a black wrapped cable, which may in fact be plain romex.

If you mean the "big lumps" clarified in post #75, them yes those proximity testers will detect the presence of voltage.

And now that he has removed the LB covers, and found what he assumes is a black wrapped cable, which may in fact be plain romex.

Shorten the hunt if he can prove the power actually reaches the garage or not.

There will be power there, but I doubt it will be from the switch.

However, if there is power from that breaker he will than have to find it in the garage.

There will be power there, but I doubt it will be from the switch.

However, if there is power from that breaker he will than have to find it in the garage.

That would be easy to prove with switch on, switch off.

Kinda think, it was disconnected when the 220 line was put in. And there might be another problem in the garage. But that is just guessing.

With just the main and that single breaker on.

Actually you alluded to, but weren't that specific.

The OP needs to understand that of all the breakers in the house need to be off, and only the main and that breaker controlling those switches, on.

The shrink wrap may be there to indicate that the wire was part of a switch leg. When a white wire is used to complete a leg, and it carries current, it should be colored black. Shrink wrap is a good way to do that.

The shrink wrap may be there to indicate that the wire was part of a switch leg. When a white wire is used to complete a leg, and it carries current, it should be colored black. Shrink wrap is a good way to do that.

We are looking for the same cloth covered romex that is at the switch box in the house or we are playing in the wrong park.:rofl:

I'm not arguing that. When the OP looked at the ends (caps) he found a shrink wrapped wire. I did not get the impression he was referring to the sheathing or even mentioning if it was romex.

I'm not arguing that. When the OP looked at the ends (caps) he found a shrink wrapped wire. I did not get the impression he was referring to the sheathing or even mentioning if it was romex.

The OP thinks the switch should turn on the lights on the garage, with a breaker box in the garage, the switch with power coming from the house would be against code. So I would not be surprised to find anything.

If we can prove the wires don't go out there, perhaps we can figure out what has been disconnected in the garage and then do a wireless switch or something.

With close to 50 years of home owners doing things, it's not my nature to leave mysteries in walls.

I'm back with another update.

Still haven't done anything yet. Still sick but almost back to 100%.

Plus storm is called for tomorrow afternoon with a lot of freezing rain expected, so I doubt I will get anything done. Ho hum!

I'm back, finally. That was one hell of a cold. Still not a 100%. But any who, I did more investigating of the garage and house. Here is what I found.

Out of the 3 conduits going into the garage, only one had power going to it. Opened the caps from the conduit boxes and this is what I saw.

img_20170208_153015-1596.jpg

img_20170208_153024-1597.jpg

img_20170208_153549-1598.jpg

img_20170127_155649-1595.jpg

I'm back, finally. That was one hell of a cold. Still not a 100%. But any who, I did more investigating of the garage and house. Here is what I found.

Out of the 3 conduits going into the garage, only one had power going to it. Opened the caps from the conduit boxes and this is what I saw.

img_20170208_153015-1596.jpg

img_20170208_153024-1597.jpg

img_20170208_153549-1598.jpg

img_20170127_155649-1595.jpg

Have another look at the wrap on the outside of the cable, I could be wrong but the one in the conduit does not look like the same as the one in the switch box.
If they are a different cable there must be another junction box in the house or it goes to it's own breaker.

Whether you find it or not, it should not be there anyway as it is against code to have two supplies to the out building.

You could have a junction somewhere, basement, crawlspace even in a another switch box or outlet box.

Just a stab in the dark:p: open the light switch for the back door outside light and see what wires you have there.

You mean the lights at the back of the garage?

No I was just thinking there may have been a 3 way switch so the garage lights could be turned on and off at both doors of the house .:confused:
And maybe all lights worked together at one time.

Latest posts

Back