Help with Saniflo upflush toilet discharge line

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wombat

Reaction score
I am installing a Saniflo upflush self contained toilet in my basement. This model does not need to be vented. I have seen folks say it is ok to have an upflush toilet discharge into the 2" horizontal waste line before it drops into the main stack. I have seen others say that is not OK. I have plumbers over the years tell me both ways when looking at my plumbing. If this would be suitable, it would save me drywall work and make the install quicker than running the discharge to the stack. The plumbing looks something like below. 2" waste line above where the toilet is going, 1" discharge coming up to it and then it all drops into the 3" line and to the stack. What are thoughts behind discharging to the 2" line?

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 2.39.31 PM.png

Welcome.

When you permit the project, they will let you know.

The job isn't permitted. The city won't grant it because of the low basement ceilings in a finished basement. So we are doing everything up to code outside of digging out the basement to get the height. That is why I want to figure out the correct method to install it.

If it is not permited, it's not up to code.

Have the complete installation accomplished by an actively lic. plumbing contractor, who is willing to put his lic., business, and reputation on the line, for you.

I am not sure how the ceiling height not being to code has anything to do with my question about ensuring the plumbing is done correctly. When I have several licensed plumbers tell me three different things, I have lost confident in their knowledge of installing these toilets. I am very capable of running a few feet of pipe and installing a toilet, but I haven't installed an Saniflo before. I assume you don't have knowledge of uplfush toilets due to not helping with this question?

If anyone has experience with self-contained uplfush toilets and would like to give suggestion in this DIY Home Improvement Forum, please send them my way. I appreciate getting the additional knowledge!

Actually, my experience with these types of products, however limited, is not the point.

We are here to advise people in the successful methods of accomplishing repairs, as well as upgrades, and the advice offered is intended to, not, adversely affect the ability to retain or retail the structure, by offering advice that is not in line with current planning and building codes, in affect.

My thoughts are and I have never installed one of these, but just took a couple minutes on their website looking at all the installation information and some videos.

It seems like the 1” discharge line is recommended to be run all the way to the main drain stack. I assume there is quite a bit of pressure in that discharge and taping in midway between the kitchen and bathroom sink could be a problem as that pressure and waste line could back pressure up into the kitchen or bath sinks depending on flow restriction.

I don’t know the exact model you have selected and if you have computed head pressure etc based on their charts and run calculations.

As to doing the work un-permitted. That is up to you.

Just know that down the road if you sell it will likely become an issue and most likely will all have to be removed as a provision of sale.

Different areas of the country deal with this differently and I don’t know what Denver’s policy is.

Back