Hi, I'm Matt from the UK...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbram

Reaction score
Hi all,

Excited to be on this forum. I'm Matt from the south-west UK.

I'm a keen DIYer and currently doing up our 4 bed detached home. Often have questions about projects I am working on and also love to offer advice when I can.

Cheers.

Welcome Matt. Good to see you found us. :welcome:

Hi Matt. I hope the forum can help you. Just be sure to check out some how to do things to make sure if you're told in American terms, you know what it is in UK terms.

In the spirit of cross-Atlantic cooperation. :)

UK English to American English building edition from what I've picked up watching BBC Home & Garden and other UK based building shows. And from living in the UK for 2 years.

Cooker - Stove/range
Units - Kitchen Cabinets
Snug - Den
Ground Floor - First Floor
First Floor - Second Floor etc...
Lift - Elevator
Timber framed - 2x4 or 2x6 framed walls
Air Con - HVAC Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
Brickie - Mason

By virtue of our elected representatives in the early 1980s we're still using American (imperial) measures of feet and inches, ounces and pounds, and ounces, pints, quarts, and gallons. Though on the liquid measures they are smaller than the UK versions. We don't use "stones" to measure anything. In building Imperial measurements rule, in all else it is a hot mess between Imperial and Metric. Canada seems to use feet and inches a lot in construction since the building materials used in Canada come from the US and vise versa. In building supplies there is a lot of cross border trade between the USA and Canada going both ways. They tend to use metric for everything else, and will often mix terms.

Electrics
UK 220 VAC 50 cycles for normal lighting and mains
US/Can 120 VAC 60 cycles for normal lighting 220VAC for stoves, HVAC, water heaters, etc

Sport / Sports

Football - Soccer (or metric football)
American Football - Football

Hi Matt. I hope the forum can help you. Just be sure to check out some how to do things to make sure if you're told in American terms, you know what it is in UK terms.
Luckily I used to work as a technical writer for a US company, so I will hopefully recognise most of the differences.

In the spirit of cross-Atlantic cooperation. :)

UK English to American English building edition from what I've picked up watching BBC Home & Garden and other UK based building shows. And from living in the UK for 2 years.

Cooker - Stove/range
Units - Kitchen Cabinets
Snug - Den
Ground Floor - First Floor
First Floor - Second Floor etc...
Lift - Elevator
Timber framed - 2x4 or 2x6 framed walls
Air Con - HVAC Heating Ventilation and Air Conditioning
Brickie - Mason

By virtue of our elected representatives in the early 1980s we're still using American (imperial) measures of feet and inches, ounces and pounds, and ounces, pints, quarts, and gallons. Though on the liquid measures they are smaller than the UK versions. We don't use "stones" to measure anything. In building Imperial measurements rule, in all else it is a hot mess between Imperial and Metric. Canada seems to use feet and inches a lot in construction since the building materials used in Canada come from the US and vise versa. In building supplies there is a lot of cross border trade between the USA and Canada going both ways. They tend to use metric for everything else, and will often mix terms.

Electrics
UK 220 VAC 50 cycles for normal lighting and mains
US/Can 120 VAC 60 cycles for normal lighting 220VAC for stoves, HVAC, water heaters, etc

Sport / Sports

Football - Soccer (or metric football)
American Football - Football

Very helpful, thank you.

Back