House is falling down. Time to do something.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrostyTurnip

Reaction score
Hi all. See title. Yes, first thing I did was look for a structural engineer. I’ve been wading through drunk framers, etc. This has not been fun. Foundation guy comes on Friday. I think he has much promise as he seems to know what he’s talking about AND he’s personally tethered to structural engineers. After 3 mos, he’s the first. Goodness.

Got estimates from
Tree guy
Grader
Framer
Soon the foundation guy.

Cannot afford ANY.

Going solo most likely.
wish me luck.

Frosty

Welcome Frosty. Let's see some pics. How damaged are things?
It’s just too embarrassing to show pics right now. I will do so when I begin work so people will know that I’m not lazy. Not really our fault, but nobody believes that.

Anyhoo, crawlspace has been leaking for quite some time. Soil is horrible high organic clay (what I get for bragging about having good gardening soil) so sandstone foundation is shifting (in one area)

Animals digging
Maybe tree roots being a problem
Floor framing is collapsing in bedroom
Ceiling in same room has begun collapsing
Termite damage on load bearing walls (I suspect) in that same room.
One stem wall is leaning.
Entire foundation is not connected as a whole.
House is on a slope!
Heavy rig traffic on street REAL close

Get this: The original shotgun house was expanded over the years - all the way around. They left the original roof - shingles and all - and used it’s ridge line as the peak of the new roof. Failures are happening outside of that original foot print.

Roof is leaking, but I don’t think the walls will hold the weight of new materials.

And to make things super duper happy, we have EARTHQUAKES

CENTRAL OKLAHOMA.

I plan on putting in temporary load bearing support walls as soon as deep winter is over. We have no where else to live.

GOOD NEWS: Tiny single story residence. To start, my area of rippage is about 12’-6” x 110’

Thanks for letting me talk it out.

Back