House Prep

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gus_mp

Reaction score
I will be moving out of my home beginning of November and moving into a new home my wife and I just built. We have not sold our home yet and I am wondering on some ideas and suggestions for prepping the house for the winter. What is the lowest temperature to set the thermostat to? (We have a 1 yr old furnace). Any other suggestions on maintaining an empty home for the winter would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremiah

I personaly would not go under 60 degrees. You should stop over once every 3 days just to check the house for water bursts and run the water periodicly maybe once week including flushing the toilets. Also I would not turn the hotwater tank off, it cost very little when not in use and by running the water once in a while it helps flush the standing water.

Welcome Jeremiah:
Daryl has covered the weather proofing very well. I think it would be well to cover the security also. Leave the drapes on the front windows, a few lights on timmers and maybe a picture or two on the walls that can be seen from the street. My former brother-in-law leaves a radio on. He says "would you go in a house that has a radio playing".
I wish you a quick sale on the old place and many happy days in the new one.
Glenn

Thanks guys for the help. We are in a pretty secure neighborhood to the point where I've even left my keys in the vehicle or the garage door open over night. Our neighbors all know the deal with us moving and have agreed to help keep an eye out on the house. We are only moving about 15 min away to a more rural area and to we have to drive by the house to pick up our son from daycare. I'm not overly concerned with the heating from the furnace as we have a new filter in and a new furnace and I definitly will agree to keep the water heater running as well as the temp turned up to near normal for a house showing.

Would it be possible to turn the temp down to say 56-58 degrees without hurting the pipes?

Hello Gus:
Yes, you can turn the heat down to 55* and the pipes will be nowhere near in danger. The drywall or plaster needs the 55 constant to keep them from cracking.
Glenn

Back