How do I re-grout marble tile shower walls?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a pic of an area that has caulk over old grout. See how the caulk is outside of the seam on the marble face. Although, my utility knife worked best for me removing the old grout from inside the seams, I'm not too keen on using the knife to remove the caulk on the marble face. With that said, what can I use to remove the caulk from these areas, without damaging the marble face?
62433d1454518927-marble-tile-shower-marble-tile4.jpg

If that is the inside corner, I would leave it there and when you are done with the new grout cover this with caulk.

No, it's not the inside corner...
It's part of the horizontal seam on the wall.

I might try a wood chisel that the blade is straight so there no edges that would dig into the tile. I would work toward the grout line so any damage would be limited to the area where the grout is now.

Thanks!
If you mean a wood chisel with a metal blade, I'm not too confident in my ability to use a tool like that on marble. I was thinking of trying to McGyver it using like an old credit card. ;) Thoughts?

Go buy a tile, just like you have and buy some grout, you need it anyway, mix up a little and make a mess on the new tile and let it dry for a few days and you can try what ever you can think of.

A single edge razor blade is sharp and flat enough to get under caulk on a flat smooth surface. There are some tools available to mount the blade or you can just use your hand (remember, it's a single edge blade ;) ). The tool is usually called a paint scraper and can be found in the paint section. I've seen other variations on it but it basically is just a handy holder for a single edge blade.

A single edge razor blade is sharp and flat enough to get under caulk on a flat smooth surface. There are some tools available to mount the blade or you can just use your hand (remember, it's a single edge blade ;) ). The tool is usually called a paint scraper and can be found in the paint section. I've seen other variations on it but it basically is just a handy holder for a single edge blade.
Thanks!
I have to remove adhesive from the face of ceramic tile on a separate project, and I'm considering using a "window scraper", which has a single edge razor blade but I'm not too confident in using it on the marble face. I don't want to use anything that I might scratch the marble with such as metal scrapers (remember, it's a single edge blade ;) ). How about some kind of good stiff plastic or wood scraper for this marble project?

62470d1454601948-marble-tile-shower-ceramic-tile.jpg

the problem with plastic is that it loses strength as it gets thinner, so if it is thin enough to get under the caulk-or adhesive- it will lose its edge very quickly. The window scraper works much better. remember to hold it at a low angle. Just like shaving doesn't rip up your face (or legs?), the blade won't dig in to the marble unless you force it.

People on other sites say to sharpen a piece of hard wood. 1x2 maple sharpened like a chisel.

Thanks!
Makes sense as far as helping not to scratch the marble.

As far as the adhesive on the ceramic, some have recommended Zylene or paint thinner prior to scraping, while others have mentioned a heat gun...Thoughts?

A quick search suggests Goo Gone might be better than Goof Off (aka Paint Off to some) on the ceramic tile, if I want to keep the existing paint on the tile.

Latest posts

Back