How do we fix our healthcare system in America?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In reaction to "you can keep your plan" yes you can and I tried. My plan went from 188 bucks for medical and dental for just myself to 322 and then to 417 for the exact same plan, nothing changed except what I pay. Every January I would get a notice stating that I agree to these changes and they are now in affect. I did have to change my doctor when I had to change my plan due to costs and my doctor did not accept the new insurance. Now I am uninsured and saving soo much money, as long as I am healthy its a win. I have always been that guy who is too paranoid to not have insurance but when it comes down to a raping or strong arm robbery why should I sit back and take it. Right now I am trying to see what I can do to get my income lower for this year so I can pay less for my new insurance that we want to get. Stupid that it is based on income. None of my other insurances are based on income, why health? Maybe it should be based on health and lifestyle? Now that would make sense.

You mean your car insurance isn’t based on income? It should be driving should be a right and people that can’t afford a car should get one for free along with the car insurance and the only way to do that would be to base the rates on income. It is only fair. Think about it I have heard a lot of people saying driving is not like going to a doctor it’s not as important. Duh, How do you get to the doctor you need a car to drive there. Plus if the poor people not working all had cars maybe they would drive around and find some work a greater distance from home. Yep I think owning a car and having car insurance is a right and the government should do something about that. Same with owning a house I think it is so unfair they won’t let you buy a house unless you have enough income to pay for it. That’s not fair owning a home should be a right because without a nice place to live it just isn’t safe or healthy.

I think cars and houses are god given rights and people that can’t afford them the government should give them one just like cell phones. We have enough rich people if we just charge them more we can get the money so everyone can have a car and a house. Think about it all the jobs we will have building those cars and houses. It is a win / win if you ask me.

I know you gave this as an example, but you don't have to be reach to eat healthy.....!
As an example, A MacDonald menu is more expensive than the Costco salad ($3.99)
And it doesn't cost more to cook healthy at home than to eat junk food

I know but that would be like asking a sick person to go to a free clinic instead of the Mayo Clinic.

If Costco started a chain of Hospitals attached to the pharmacy and you could go in and get a complete physical checkup for $3.99 would you go?

I know but that would be like asking a sick person to go to a free clinic instead of the Mayo Clinic.

If Costco started a chain of Hospitals attached to the pharmacy and you could go in and get a complete physical checkup for $3.99 would you go?

Heck yeah I'd go in a heartbeat. Costco always has free sample give a ways at their stores. And a terrific return policy.

Heck yeah I'd go in a heartbeat. Costco always has free sample give a ways at their stores. And a terrific return policy.

There you go the solution to the health care problem. Turn the whole thing over to Costco and Walmart. Prices will come right down.

You could drop your car off for new tires. Go have a colon scope and then get a $3.99 salad. Hopefully the same guy doesn’t do all three jobs. :)

I get my dental insurance through Costco currently. For $85 a year, I get my teeth cleaned twice a year and have heavily discounted other repairs. Bad thing is it is only in California.

I get my dental insurance through Costco currently. For $85 a year, I get my teeth cleaned twice a year and have heavily discounted other repairs. Bad thing is it is only in California.

I think that works because they don't need a lawyer to figure out what is covered and what isn't, everyone has the same plan or the clinic can easily check what you coverage is.

There you go leave it to Walmart Canada to figure out a better way.

There is nothing to figure out. Everyone has the same plan so payment is guaranteed, all med. records are on line, not everyone has a DR. so the clinics keep people out of the ER.
No lawyers at the clinic, DR.s office, hospital, insurance office.:trophy:

There is nothing to figure out. Everyone has the same plan so payment is guaranteed, all med. records are on line, not everyone has a DR. so the clinics keep people out of the ER.
No lawyers at the clinic, DR.s office, hospital, insurance office.:trophy:

So if I go into Walmart in Canada I could bump into The Prime Minster Justin Trudeau coming out with a bout with the flu.

Does it bother you that the Walton Kids are getting rich off the Canadian Government? Thru your tax dollars.

So if I go into Walmart in Canada I could bump into The Prime Minster Justin Trudeau coming out with a bout with the flu.

Does it bother you that the Walton Kids are getting rich off the Canadian Government? Thru your tax dollars.

I am sure he has a Dr. that does house calls.:trophy:

But we do have problems with the system here, like the Dr. group decides how many Dr. can be in a given area so sometime it is hard to find a DR, that will take new people. So clinics pop up everywhere. Not always on routes for transportation. Walmart always seem to get on the bus route so people with out cars can get there.

I am sure he has a Dr. that does house calls.:trophy:

But we do have problems with the system here, like the Dr. group decides how many Dr. can be in a given area so sometime it is hard to find a DR, that will take new people. So clinics pop up everywhere. Not always on routes for transportation. Walmart always seem to get on the bus route so people with out cars can get there.

Those darn Walmart’s seem to always be where the people are. If I didn’t know better I would think they plan it that way. So they are kind of luring people into their clinics as they are anchor locations for so many other products and services and people are already there and familiar with how to get there. Pretty smart of them. Walmart normally doesn’t get into things unless there is money to be made and lots of it. Do you think they are making money on these clinics? Like tacking on 10% to what the doctors are charging or making sure the clinic uses Walmart brand Band-Aids and such.

Those darn Walmart’s seem to always be where the people are. If I didn’t know better I would think they plan it that way. So they are kind of luring people into their clinics as they are anchor locations for so many other products and services and people are already there and familiar with how to get there. Pretty smart of them. Walmart normally doesn’t get into things unless there is money to be made and lots of it. Do you think they are making money on these clinics? Like tacking on 10% to what the doctors are charging or making sure the clinic uses Walmart brand Band-Aids and such.

Whether you like Walmart or not, we can't knock there ability to make money.
The store here has insurance company, hairdresser and Mac Donalds all in store.
So I am sure it is how many dollars per sq foot.
So if you go to their clinic, which drug store are you going to?

I think a visit is a visit so the same $ value where ever you go.
For the most part the hospitals are part of the system but the get paid the same as a DR. visit. They do have their own budget so it is in their interest to have the clinics in place for people who don't need the expensive service.

Bud, I think comparing car insurance and restaurant meals to health insurance is like comparing apples to oranges.
Having a car is very helpful and there are times when it can be a life-saver to be able to drive away, but there are other people who can drive someone (not always, but most of the time) if need be.
A person can still get some less expensive food at grocery stores and such (if they don't live in a "food desert") and still survive.
But medical care is not something that can really be compromised.
Medical treatment requires very specific care, medicines, and procedures. People can and do die from lack of treatment. People don't die because they can't eat at a fancy restaurant and ones who are very desperate for food will pick through the trash (I've seen people doing that). But you can't pick through the trash for medical care.

I'm not saying we should bring all the medical prices down to an unfair level so they would need to make up for it in other ways. I'm saying we should bring it down to a reasonable level so that they are able to make a little bit of profit over breaking even as an incentive. When they have a test that costs maybe $5 to run and they charge $800 or even $8,000 for it, that is absurd. They can charge maybe $20 to $50 or even $80 if they need to make up for the cost of the equipment. And the more people that can afford it, the more likely they are to get $ from doing those tests.

As for the cheap/free clinics-- they aren't available in some areas. People might have to get a lift to places 2 to 3 hours away. And some people aren't able to get there. And places like Walmart (at least where I live) won't always let people have days off when they need to go to appointments or even when they have medical emergencies. The local Walmart here has fired at least 5 employees (that I know of) because they needed medical treatment. (Which is why I think they need to enforce the rules for the Family Medical Leave Act more strictly).

I'm not sure how I feel about a Walmart run clinic. Maybe they can pull it off in Canada, but not where I live. I know they sometimes have eye clinics at Walmarts, but actual regular medical.... I wouldn't trust them. I think I'd trust Costco more, but there is no Costco in my area.

I'm not suggesting that people just straight up get a free ride, but people should not be dying because they can't get medical treatment- and I do know that some hospitals will refuse to treat children because the parents can't afford it. I've had friends who couldn't get their kids treated for painful injuries/medical issues because they couldn't afford to pay the full amount up front and the doctor's refused to do the treatment without said payment. And if they were charging reasonable amounts or allowing payment plans, my friends would have been able to afford it. I get they don't trust payment plans because people don't always pay, but necessary treatment should not be withheld because of money.

Have you noticed that you're not allowed to drive around in an uninsured car? Why? Because it's the law that you must be insured. And what happens if you're caught without car insurance? You pay a fine.

Hey everybody! Let's abolish car insurance!!!

Let's talk about car insurance, we have had gov. insurance since the late sixties, I still don't pay a much for insurance as I did in 1967, the only people complaining are those that get caught skiing when they are suing for a broken neck or something.

I just wish car insurance was different. I have a few vehicles a couple that only see the road a few miles a year. I wish I could insure myself and not each vehicle. A can't drive them all at the same time anyway. A pay about 600 a year for two jeeps that don't get driven but if I didn't the registration would get suspended.

Latest posts

Back