How feasible is it for an old sewer drain to leak city storm water?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmr106

Reaction score
I'm curious how common this is and what would actually need to be wrong (if anything) on the city-side of plumbing for storm water to back up into residential sewer pipes at ground level. I suspect a 6-8 foot cast iron pipe section extends from the back of the house at an angle and joins a perpendicular clay sewer pipe that continues on and joins the main city sewer pipe. Either the cast iron pipe or the clay sewer pipe on the property could have a hole in it. Given the direction of the leak, I suspect the cast iron pipe.

How common are storm water leaks in sewer pipes?

Last edited:
Sounds like you need a back flow preventer installed. A flapper style check valve would do the trick. Let the city know what is happening and they may install it for you if it looks like there is any way you could point the finger at them. There was one installed on my house shortly before I purchased it. I'm not sure who was responsible for paying for the installation of it. You would need to inquire about it.

Latest posts

Back