How much would this cost?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macandal

Reaction score
I am in San Francisco, CA.

sidewalk1.jpg

This thing in front of my house never worked. I want it gone. How much do you think it would cost to have someone to replace this with some concrete and make it look like the rest of the sidewalk? The patch is around 8'x11'. Thanks.

Your going to have to call around and get some local prices.
Ball park prices will not do anyone any good.

Your going to have to call around and get some local prices.
Ball park prices will not do anyone any good.
I'm trying to establish what a "reasonable price" is in my area so I know whether or not I'm being ripped off. I have no idea how much these jobs cost.

Where your greatest expense would be, were you in-fill with concrete, will be the "short load" charge, so you mite want to consider some juniper and pavers.

Well, there a myriad of pavers, down the center, with juniper on either side, which could be accented with decorative bark, which you could alter the color of, depending upon your mood swings, for instance.

I would charge between 3-5 grand depending on local conditions, permits, cost of delivered concrete, local labour charges per hour . i see three men one full day.

The new concrete will always look "different" from the old.

So consider making it look purposely different, like perhaps stamped concrete, with some color. That's going to add some cost though.

I would charge between 3-5 grand depending on local conditions, permits, cost of delivered concrete, local labour charges per hour . i see three men one full day.

Not sure where you are, but OP is in San Fran.
I am figuring that is not going to be the best place to find low cost construction.

According to this site, concrete install is under a grand, then you have the concrete cost, any permits and everything else. The price of 8 x 11 x $8.54 is around what I paid for installed concrete here out the door, no permits required...

I would call the county permitting and ask if a permit is required and how much it is.

What is that "thing that has never worked"? What is the intended purpose? To me, it just looks like tile with a bunch of spaces, allowing the growth. I can't figure out why it exists. Can you dig it out to save cash?

Good Luck.

https://concrete.promatcher.com/cost/san-francisco-ca-concrete-costs-prices.aspx

You'll be lucky to find a CO. that would take the job for those average quotes, because they don't include demo and haul off, so you're likely facing of an $1500 min. or greater.

The concrete itself is about 1.1yrd, which falls into the short load cat. with a projected cost of $150 too $200.

Ideally, were you to come across a contractor, working in the local area, who has folks with a short day, and pour, if they'd allow their crew to fill the day out for you, would likely be cost effective.

Here is a list, in your area; Commercial Concrete Contractors--Sidewalks/Floors/Flatwork in San Francisco Bay Area | The Blue Book Building and Construction Network

According to this site, concrete install is under a grand, then you have the concrete cost, any permits and everything else. The price of 8 x 11 x $8.54 is around what I paid for installed concrete here out the door, no permits required...

I would call the county permitting and ask if a permit is required and how much it is.

What is that "thing that has never worked"? What is the intended purpose? To me, it just looks like tile with a bunch of spaces, allowing the growth. I can't figure out why it exists. Can you dig it out to save cash?

Good Luck.

https://concrete.promatcher.com/cost/san-francisco-ca-concrete-costs-prices.aspx
$8.54 per square feet? Where? What city?

What I mean by "it never worked" is that there should be some kind of covering growing in the spaces between the tiles. But for this to happen all the weeds that are now growing have to be pulled and the patch has to be watered 2 or 3 times per week. This is a lot of work for this in my opinion. I'd rather spend that time working on my backyard. Also, here in San Francisco (California really) we have been in a drought for the past few years and I want to conserve water.

You'll be lucky to find a CO. that would take the job for those average quotes, because they don't include demo and haul off, so you're likely facing of an $1500 min. or greater.

The concrete itself is about 1.1yrd, which falls into the short load cat. with a projected cost of $150 too $200.

Ideally, were you to come across a contractor, working in the local area, who has folks with a short day, and pour, if they'd allow their crew to fill the day out for you, would likely be cost effective.

Here is a list, in your area; Commercial Concrete Contractors--Sidewalks/Floors/Flatwork in San Francisco Bay Area | The Blue Book Building and Construction Network
What demo? The tiles are just set on top. You can just pick one up with hardly any effort? I can do that and clean the patch (i.e., remove the weeds).

$8.54 per square feet? Where? What city?

What I mean by "it never worked" is that there should be some kind of covering growing in the spaces between the tiles. But for this to happen all the weeds that are now growing have to be pulled and the patch has to be watered 2 or 3 times per week. This is a lot of work for this in my opinion. I'd rather spend that time working on my backyard. Also, here in San Francisco (California really) we have been in a drought for the past few years and I want to conserve water.
The link... Your city.

That's supposed to be grass or something nice looking growing between the tile? I have never seen something like that.

What demo? The tiles are just set on top. You can just pick one up with hardly any effort? I can do that and clean the patch (i.e., remove the weeds).
So, from your #1 post, "How much do you think it would cost to have someone to replace this with some concrete and make it look like the rest of the sidewalk?", would you like to add the qualifiers, that, you will be removing the pavers, weeds and also prepping the site for a pour?

So that folks proposing to bid on the project, just need to set the screeds, order the short-load and finish the pour. But you'll also need to specify the finish, IE, slick, broom, exposed aggregate, because the new will not be the same tone, as the aged existing.

The link... Your city.

That's supposed to be grass or something nice looking growing between the tile? I have never seen something like that.
Ok. Got it. (About the link.)

It's grass and other weeds. It's a mess.

So, from your #1 post, "How much do you think it would cost to have someone to replace this with some concrete and make it look like the rest of the sidewalk?", would you like to add the qualifiers, that, you will be removing the pavers, weeds and also prepping the site for a pour?

So that folks proposing to bid on the project, just need to set the screeds, order the short-load and finish the pour. But you'll also need to specify the finish, IE, slick, broom, exposed aggregate, because the new will not be the same tone, as the aged existing.
Good point. Thanks for mentioning this. I would not have thought of it.

I'll just remove the tiles and pull the weeds. I don't really know what "prepping" actually entails--other than removing the tiles and pulling the weeds. They can prep themselves (the contractor).

Ok. Got it. (About the link.)

It's grass and other weeds. It's a mess.
Ok, so I'm borderline fascinated that the thing exists since I have never seen one. Are those tile slabs all over S.F.?

What is their function?

Good point. Thanks for mentioning this. I would not have thought of it.

I'll just remove the tiles and pull the weeds. I don't really know what "prepping" actually entails--other than removing the tiles and pulling the weeds. They can prep themselves (the contractor).
Prepping the area is generally grading, and a normal pour is 4", so if there is soil to be removed, who is responsible for it, you, or the contractor.

As a general rule, undisturbed soil areas are considered to be 90% compacted.

Back