How much would this cost?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so I'm borderline fascinated that the thing exists since I have never seen one. Are those tile slabs all over S.F.?

What is their function?
No, I haven't seen them.

In this situation, their function is just aesthetic I would say. It's just so that you don't have a patch of 100% grass or other covering. The tiles break the full-looking covering and, I guess, gives people a stable (non-slippery) surface to step on.

Ok, so I'm borderline fascinated that the thing exists since I have never seen one. Are those tile slabs all over S.F.?

What is their function?
They are considered an architectural element that, because they are not fixed, can fairly easily be altered, by and for, the owners desires.

Prepping the area is generally grading, and a normal pour is 4", so if there is soil to be removed, who is responsible for it, you, or the contractor.

As a general rule, undisturbed soil areas are considered to be 90% compacted.
Understood. To get to the 4" inch that the pour requires, they will have to remove some soil.

Thanks.

No, I haven't seen them.

In this situation, their function is just aesthetic I would say. It's just so that you don't have a patch of 100% grass or other covering. The tiles break the full-looking covering and, I guess, gives people a stable (non-slippery) surface to step on.
Ok.

Understood. To get to the 4" inch that the pour requires, they will have to remove some soil.

Thanks.
The point is, will you retain it, or will the contractor haul it off.

The point is, will you retain it, or will the contractor haul it off.
I will keep the tiles and the soil (I can use it in my garden). The weeds will go in the compost bin. So I guess the contractor won't need to haul anything.

I will keep the tiles and the soil (I can use it in my garden). The weeds will go in the compost bin. So I guess the contractor won't need to haul anything.
A complete conversation, leaving nothing to assumptions, is a key to success.

Consider using pavers set close together and seams (cracks, gaps, whaterver you prefer calling them) filled with polymeric sand. Some physical labor involved but definitely a DIY-doable job

Consider using pavers set close together and seams (cracks, gaps, whaterver you prefer calling them) filled with polymeric sand. Some physical labor involved but definitely a DIY-doable job
For the sidewalk? Will the county let me do this for the sidewalk? I have to find out but my guess is they probably want concrete, not pavers.

Unless you are governed by an HOA, and you are not affecting a designated public right of way, what you do, legally, within your own property, is not governed by any city or county ordinance.

It's not a designated public right of way, when it is within your property line.
As an example; The city of Long Beach set their public sidewalks so the they intruded into the property 6", so that when the sidewalks were damaged they would hold that property owner liable for those repairs, as well as any injury events.

You can visit either the city or county offices and find the dimensions of the public right of way for the street you live on. They are measured each way from the center of a paved area.

Back