How to get these three outlets working?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so where are the outlets and switches?

print.jpg

Are the switch, S3, and the recepticle/conductors, in question in the same box?

And there is no hot pair in that box?

And the switch does not energize the light?

so where are the outlets and switches?

I don't really have time. Someone's moving in tomorrow. He said he's okay with that outlet not working.

One thing I did notice was that breaker 3 (the one that controls everything near that outlet) has 2 wires coming out of it. It's the bottom red breaker in the pic. I tested these individually. Seems that one wire controls everything and the other one does nothing. There's also a loose black wire in the circuit panel.

0930172255.jpg

You need to put a wirenut on the loose black conductor at the top of the breakers.

The breaker #3 is a split breaker and controls 2 separate circuits.

If there is no reading of 120V from each screw, individually, to ground, after you have shut both breakers off and back on, 1/2 of the breaker is bad and should be replaced.

You also have an unused breaker space at the top of the left hand row of breakers, and you should take the 3rd conductor away from the red breaker an install it in its own breaker.

Installing a split, 20A, breaker like #3 will afford you a spare for future use.

Last edited:
I am trying to replace the mobile home switch with a normal one. I can do this for outlets, but switches seem to be different. There are 2 brass screws, a ground, and a BLACK. What's the black? Is that where I put both white wires to?

I am in the process of using process of elimination to see which wires go where.

See the picture Frodo posted The power is at the light and comes to the switch on the white wire and goes back on the black. Just change them with wire for wire.

I am trying to replace the mobile home switch with a normal one. I can do this for outlets, but switches seem to be different. There are 2 brass screws, a ground, and a BLACK. What's the black? Is that where I put both white wires to?

I am in the process of using process of elimination to see which wires go where.

See Frodo's picture and just change wire for wire.

You need to put a wirenut on the loose black conductor at the top of the breakers.

The breaker #3 is a split breaker and controls 2 separate circuits.

If there is no reading of 120V from each screw, individually, to ground, after you have shut both breakers off and back on, 1/2 of the breaker is bad and should be replaced.

You also have an unused breaker space at the top of the left hand row of breakers, and you should take the 3rd conductor away from the red breaker an install it in its own breaker.

Installing a split, 20A, breaker like #3 will afford you a spare for future use.

On the split red breaker, the top red switch controls one circuit.

The bottom red switch has two wires coming out of it. One of them controls a circuit. The other seemingly does nothing.

Any way to test if it actually leads anywhere? And same for that loose wire that I put a nut on?

2 Romex connected to the switch.

1 to the non-working outlet.

Romex is the cable that contains the conductors.

A black, white and bare copper conductors enclosed in a white or yellow sheath, is a typical 2 and a ground romex.

On the split red breaker, the top red switch controls one circuit.

The bottom red switch has two wires coming out of it. One of them controls a circuit. The other seemingly does nothing.

When you turn that breaker off, do both of them go off, or can you turn them off individually?

It's actually illegal to have 2 circuits connected too 1 breaker and why the advice.
However, in the mean time, and with the breaker off, disconnect one of the conductors and you can find what no longer works.

Any way to test if it actually leads anywhere? And same for that loose wire that I put a nut on?

There are a number of circuit tracers, or you can install a breaker in the spare, connect the conductor and turn the breaker on.

Romex is the cable that contains the conductors.

A black, white and bare copper conductors enclosed in a white or yellow sheath, is a typical 2 and a ground romex.

I know that.

There are two sheaths connecting to the switch, and one to the outlet.

When you turn that breaker off, do both of them go off, or can you turn them off individually?

It's actually illegal to have 2 circuits connected too 1 breaker and why the advice.
However, in the mean time, and with the breaker off, disconnect one of the conductors and you can find what no longer works.

There are a number of circuit tracers, or you can install a breaker in the spare, connect the conductor and turn the breaker on.

I have already tested the individual wires that are connected to the bottom red switch.

The red switches can be turned off individually.

It occurred to me that maybe the non-working outlet is connected to the loose wire in the panel.

I have already tested the individual wires that are connected to the bottom red switch.

The red switches can be turned off individually.

It occurred to me that maybe the non-working outlet is connected to the loose wire in the panel.

That could very well be, so connect it to a breaker and find out.

What are the colors of the two conductors connected to the recep.

I don't know what "recep" means. I'll assume it means switch. There are two white sheathings. Each sheathing contains a black, white, and copper.

To the non-working outlet, there is one sheathing, containing the same.

Last edited:
I don't know what "recep" means. I'll assume it means switch. There are two white sheathings. Each sheathing contains a black, white, and copper.

RECEP=RECEPTICLE, IE. a device you plug something into.

So, there are 2 ROMEX each with a black, white and copper CONDUCTORS.One is connected to a switch, and is presumedly a SWITCH LEG and operates the light fixture, and the other is connected to the RECEP., and is presumedly the HOT PAIR, which is not energized.

Were you able to connect the aforementioned "black" conductor to a breaker and find out what was energized?

Back