How to hide washer/dryer connections?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder, was that a pressure issue in the area?

I had it happen in my next door neighbor's townhouse in VA, and I've seen it happen here in NC. Our water pressure is good, I've never measured it to see if it is too high. We're one of the higher points in town, though the water tank is obviously higher.

Washer manufacturers all recommend you turn the water off when not in use for a reason. I fully admit I don't unless traveling away from home for a couple of days.

I had it happen in my next door neighbor's townhouse in VA, and I've seen it happen here in NC. Our water pressure is good, I've never measured it to see if it is too high. We're one of the higher points in town, though the water tank is obviously higher.

Washer manufacturers all recommend you turn the water off when not in use for a reason. I fully admit I don't unless traveling away from home for a couple of days.

We have regulators on the water lines and I have never heard of anyone here that worries about the hoses, but I agree replace them with the new machine.

If you don't trust the hose for more than five years, what about hoses in the machine, they get more abuse with the machine moving around.:confused:

The braided hoses are a better bet than the rubber hoses. I don't think of pex as a hose, but if they are prone to burst as they age that's going to be a big mess in the future.
Neal: Hoses on the back of the machine are one thing. Hoses in the machine? If they are beyond the valve, they aren't pressurized very often...i doubt that they are pressurized at all.

The braided hoses are a better bet than the rubber hoses. I don't think of pex as a hose, but if they are prone to burst as they age that's going to be a big mess in the future.
Neal: Hoses on the back of the machine are one thing. Hoses in the machine? If they are beyond the valve, they aren't pressurized very often...i doubt that they are pressurized at all.

Do you think the hose from this valve deals with less pressure than the hose feeding it.

washer mixer.jpg

The hoses to the machine are under pressure all the time. The hoses in the machine are only under pressure when the valve is open. And even then they aren't under static pressure since the other end is open and dumps into the washing machine tub.

And if those hoses failed, it would be while the machine is in use, presumably, you'd be at home when the water started pouring out of the machine.

While PEX is relatively new on this side of the Atlantic, I understand it has been used in Europe for several decades. I'd agree PEX isn't a hose, the connections aren't the same as a hose. The hose that failed at my neighbor's house failed right at the brass fitting to the rubber hose. Don't know how old the hoses were, the house was only a couple years old at the time. She rushed over for help when water was running all over the place. She didn't know what to do.

The hoses to the machine are under pressure all the time. The hoses in the machine are only under pressure when the valve is open. And even then they aren't under static pressure since the other end is open and dumps into the washing machine tub.

And if those hoses failed, it would be while the machine is in use, presumably, you'd be at home when the water started pouring out of the machine.

I'm not saying not to do it, better safe than sorry. Insurance companies are suggesting a yearly inspection for rust, bulging and cracks.
Replace five to seven years.
To me that says they are likely to fail somewhere after ten years.
It is the new hose that wants to be inspected little more often, manufacturer defects will take a little time to show up.

Most times hoses will fail at the crimp and braided hoses may have the same problems as time goes by.

We can't have it both ways , if you turn off the water every time the machine is not in use, the hose inside is getting the same work as the hose to the machine.

While PEX is relatively new on this side of the Atlantic, I understand it has been used in Europe for several decades. I'd agree PEX isn't a hose, the connections aren't the same as a hose. The hose that failed at my neighbor's house failed right at the brass fitting to the rubber hose. Don't know how old the hoses were, the house was only a couple years old at the time. She rushed over for help when water was running all over the place. She didn't know what to do.
Which leads to the question: now that sharkbite fittings have been around for a while, how are they holding up? any reports going around??

If you are in an area with high chlorine in the water, pex might not be the best choice.

Neal,
If you are referring to the hoses inside the machine they only have water pressure, and a limited amount at that, when the machine is filling with water. When the solenoids at the inlet valve shut off when the tub is full they have no pressure. When the tub is filling they are running free into the tub.

The braided hoses are much better than the straight rubber hoses. I can't say that I've seen a braided hose fail. Washing machine hoses failing are in the top 10 water damage events. Water heater and toilet failures are higher. Frozen pipes come in at 18%, higher in the frozen north.

https://disastersafety.org/ibhs/water-damage-studies/

Washing Machine Failure Risks
Washing machine-related failures are one of the top 10 leading sources of residential water losses. The typical causes are supply hose failures, machine overflows and drain line failures.

A multi-company and multi-region study of homeowners’ insurance claims from water damage caused by washing machines revealed:

These failures cost an average of $5,308 per incident after the deductible was paid.
Failures of supply hoses accounted for more than half of all washing machine-related losses.
Of the water supply hose failures resulting in water loss claims, 78% involved washing machines that were less than 11 years old. Of these failures, 54% occurred in washing machines between eight and 10 years of old.
The proportion of washing machine related claims to total water loss claims was 67% higher in South Region states than in North Region states.
The average claim severity for South Region states was 28% higher than North Region states.
Although the affect of washing machine location on claim frequency could not be determined in this study, in the North Region, claims for units located in basements were 24% higher than claims for units located on the first floor.
Approximately 6% of all washing machine failures occurred in unoccupied homes.
Failures that occurred in unoccupied homes resulted in claims that were on average nearly two-and-a-half times more severe than those occurring in occupied homes.

LOL.
This is interesting. My house is never left vacant for more than a day or two because someone has to be here to feed the animals. Have to keep the water running to the outside for the cows, but I've had to shut off the line to the house a few times.

I've been lucky in that my washing machine hose has never ruptured YET. Had the same hoses probably 10 years or more now-- but I believe there was a rupture while I was overseas-- which would explain why the floor was destroyed when we got back.

Since I just jinxed myself, I am going to go shut off the water to the washing machine tonight.

I am curious about PEX and how it is holding up.

To get back to the original topic, I would suggest having an easy open access panel that is not difficult to reach in case of the need for emergency shut-off.

I've seen people make swinging doors out of things like pictures or mirrors to make it look more decorative. That could hide stuff but still allow it to be accessed.

To Zannej’s question about PEX. I have no idea how long it lasts. I have been reading lately rodents like to eat it so in that case the life might be short. Every inch of PEX I put in my 2 story house is accessible without opening any walls. The first floor of course from the basement and then I made a chase to the second floor bath with an access door. Once to the second floor I made a loop around the outside of the room from the toilet to the claw foot tub and shower and ending at the sink. I ran that thru a chase also that hugs the wall and looks like a baseboard. So if I ever do get leaks I can open them up and replace whatever went bad in less than an hour.

OK quick update this is what I gti done yesterday.Everything perfectly level.

76460a303aac0b566e8ef41842fffb4b.jpg

ad4dae416e58c93fda169cbc585322e6.jpg

Damn, I need to do this! Looks great.

Just wondering, why did you install the shorter cabinet in the center?

Looking again, if they hung a foot higher, you could install a closet rod between the longer cabinets and it would be a great place to hang the gal's clothes that can't be machine dried.

Last edited:
To Zannej’s question about PEX. I have no idea how long it lasts. I have been reading lately rodents like to eat it so in that case the life might be short. Every inch of PEX I put in my 2 story house is accessible without opening any walls. The first floor of course from the basement and then I made a chase to the second floor bath with an access door. Once to the second floor I made a loop around the outside of the room from the toilet to the claw foot tub and shower and ending at the sink. I ran that thru a chase also that hugs the wall and looks like a baseboard. So if I ever do get leaks I can open them up and replace whatever went bad in less than an hour.
I wonder if you can wrap the PEX in plastic conduit or if that would sort of defeat the purpose. Mice would definitely be an issue where I live. Little buggers are all up in the walls because the people who built the place didn't even have boards on the bottoms underneath the studs so mice come in from under the house. Most of our plumbing is PVC and CPVC though.

OK quick update this is what I gti done yesterday.Everything perfectly level.

76460a303aac0b566e8ef41842fffb4b.jpg

ad4dae416e58c93fda169cbc585322e6.jpg
That looks very nice!
Shorter cabinet in center looks symetrical, but since you have a top-load washser, have you considered changing it up and having the shorter one on the edge? (I know you've already got it mounted though).

You could probably add a shelf below the shorter cabinet to hold some stuff that you want to be able to grab without having to open cabinets. OR, you could add some sort of drying rack.
tumblr_okobf60w381qhfuqwo3_400.jpg

Or if the cabinets are sturdy enough you could add rods to hang clothes
tumblr_moja9v2Byr1qhfuqwo1_500.jpg

Save

Last edited:
I put a shelf above the washer that hold the laundry dispensing soap bottles Tim Taylor style. Open the lid push the button shut the lid. No fuss no muss.

Cabinets look good! :thbup: And they distract from the connections being visible. But I thought your concern was hiding the connections altogether.

Latest posts

Back