How to put these Romex in conduit?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
First, can I even put Romex in conduit, or does it need to be replaced with THHN so it doesn't overheat?

Second, if I chose to put them in Liquid Tight, how would that work because there are multiple Romex cables per knockout in the panel.

Attachments

• 0704181733.jpg
    0704181733.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 13
No, romex is not allowed in conduit. THHN is I believe what you need.

What is your application.

Only certain (very limited short runs) times are you permitted to use Romex in a conduit but most you must use individual conductors rated THHN/THWN (Note: THWN is rated "weather resistant").

As you state you will be connecting into a panel it seems you will only be able to use individual conductors.

Romex is not banned from being in conduit. You must however consider how many and derate accordingly.

Joe, I am certainly not an electrician, but when the inspector was signing off my work at my house, he mentioned that my city will red tag any Romex loaded into any type of conduit, due to the build up of heat. Obviously this is only a local issue?

Must be a local issue. Romex is regularly put into conduit for protection.

Thanks buddy..

It is my understanding that romex is not to be installed in conduit unless it needs protection.
In this case it is only the portion of the run that needs protection and not the entire length of the run.
If the entire length of the run needs protection then you should switch to conduit and THHN.

Latest posts

Back