How to repair a divot in roof

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RudisFL

Reaction score
20180426_095850.jpg At the edge of my roof I have a divot. Water backed into the roof when the gutters stopped working.

Rather than approach it from the top --- I don't want mismatched shingles. Can I fix this by working on it from under the eve?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, proper and only way to fix is remove the shingles from above. If you're lucky, you may get the shingles to separate by using a shingle pry bar. Go at least 2 courses past where the damage is. Repair the decking, install new underlayment and replace the shingles. Get a tube of roof cement and caulk where you separated the seal strips. Like I said, you may get lucky.

That roof looks like it has several issues, main one being who ever installed them do not overhang them enough along that whole side.
Sure looks like there's also no drip edge, and gutter or fascia has pulled away.
Looks like far end is also in trouble.
That whole section where the low spot is by now rotted beyond just a small patch.

How to repair a divot in the roof is a question raised by many people. But what they tend to forget is that most types of repairs require a bit of manual labor and other skills that may not be in demand right now. Therefore, if you'd like to ensure that the piece of roofing you decide to get will work well in the future, it's advisable to hire professionals who can complete the job right away. You can contact the guys from city2surfroofing.com.au. They will help you to get the job done. These are the best experts in my zone.
This and several other posts you've responded to today are all old posts. The OP has probably moved on by now.

Back