How to secure bolts to this wood?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjohn1324

Reaction score
This is a homemade tile cart. The bolts for the wheels are not long enough to go through the plywood and 2x4's.

What can I do to secure the wheels?

Also, once this is done, how should I secure the middle two 2x4's to the outside ones? Only the outside ones are connected to the wheels.

1219171111.jpg

You can use a "T" nut for the wheels, or shorten the threaded rod, use a threaded coupling and a bolt.

Screw the ply to the 2X's.

I'm on a welding kick today.... sorry houserepairtalk members. You can weld on an extension of any type you like. If you don't have a welder ask neighbors it should only be about 10-20 min of work and about .40 cents of wire and gas. Shouldn't be hard to find somebody you could trade a beer or something for.

You could also return them and get some with the flat mount style top with the 4 holes in it.

1. For securing the middle 2X4's you can put the 2X4's on top and let middle pressure push them together. Screwing them to the plyboard.
2. Glue and pocket screws. Soak up every touching surface with glue and then pocket screws to pinch them together.
3. Angle Iron at the ends. 1 x 1 angle or even 2 x 2 for some "beef"
4. Biscuit or dowels and glue.
5. More 2X4's in the other direction or another layer of ply??
6. Take the 2 out of them middle and re-orientate them all make a box with a center beam. The best weight baring side of a 2 x 4 is on the 2 side

Last edited:
You can use a "T" nut for the wheels, or shorten the threaded rod, use a threaded coupling and a bolt.

Screw the ply to the 2X's.

"T" nut it is.

I can't believe I couldn't figure out the 2nd question.

"A f****ng screw, ya dummie."

I must be tired.

What he said, then the nut will also sit under the top edge so it will be flush.

I'm hoping the T nut, will work.

I don't want to buy a new bit that I'll only use once if I don't have to.

It's a short term solution and if you overload the cart and run over uneven surfaces, they won't last.

The long term solution is as suggested, purchase quality casters that attach with 4 screws.

No, if the shaft is threaded, drill a 1 1/4" hole half way thru so you can up a nut in the hole and thread it on the shaft. Hole has to be big enough for the nut and the socket to tighten it,
https://www.google.ca/search?biw=16......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.EIaZIPKq_LY

The shaft is 3/8" threaded. If I did that, I still don't get what would secure it to the wood.

Something like this might work...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/The-Hil...teel-Round-Base-Tee-Nut-8-Pack-4146/204775367

Because I could screw it into the wood.

Counter bore, or you could use a wood bit like this..the paddle part will be your depth. Use the tip as your pilot hole. Finish the other side of the bolt hole with appropriate bit. Be careful not to go all the way thru.����

D0A08D8F-21FF-47F0-87E3-01643F2CD347.png

Counter bore, or you could use a wood bit like this..the paddle part will be your depth. Use the tip as your pilot hole. Finish the other side of the bolt hole with appropriate bit. Be careful not to go all the way thru.����

The bolt is not long enough to go through to the other side. I don't understand what would be anchoring the bolt to the wood.

The casters you have are made more for a table that has steel legs that would take the strain. I am a little afraid that what ever you do will just work at the wood until they fail. I Have built lots of these with just a sheet of plywood and casters that have a flat base that take 4 carriage bolts. The other trick is to use two coasters that do not turn and then they will push in the intended direction.

The tail about the depth depends upon how much too short the threaded shaft on the caster is.

Jam them in the hole and let the weight of the cart hold them down. if they are sloppy you drilled the holes too big drill some new ones over and inch.

Latest posts

Back