I have so many questions

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, his license and insurance all check out. I will ask about the companionship account number, because I have never heard of this before.

I am meeting one of the subs Monday, so I can ask some more questions. I will make a call to the city tomorrow regarding the permits.

The money he is asking for is for the labor. He is asking for $13.5K in labor costs, but I'm doing the demo on the kitchen and also all the material shopping.

Every sub contractor is a business too, they also need a licence and compensation account .

If they have an account they may be contractors charging about $100 an hour.
If they don't have a number, they are employees making maybe $25 an hour.

Unpaid contractors have a certain amount of time to put a lean on your house if they don't get paid. The hold back that Chris mentioned is held until after that time limit. Clock starts on the last day that sub worked at your house, for you it would start on the day the job was finished.
Google lien laws for your area.

The game that is played with that set of rules is. He doesn't pay the sub that has finished his job but the job drags out to long and the sub puts a lien on your house.

I always consider material to be a down payment I order stuff in the customers name and they pay for it. I get paid at the end or an agreed a schedule.
He pays the subs by the end of the following month or employees at the end of next week.

Every sub contractor is a business too, they also need a licence and compensation account .

If they have an account they may be contractors charging about $100 an hour.
If they don't have a number, they are employees making maybe $25 an hour.

Unpaid contractors have a certain amount of time to put a lean on your house if they don't get paid. The hold back that Chris mentioned is held until after that time limit. Clock starts on the last day that sub worked at your house, for you it would start on the day the job was finished.
Google lien laws for your area.

The game that is played with that set of rules is. He doesn't pay the sub that has finished his job but the job drags out to long and the sub puts a lien on your house.

I always consider material to be a down payment I order stuff in the customers name and they pay for it. I get paid at the end or an agreed a schedule.
He pays the subs by the end of the following month or employees at the end of next week.

I have requested a lien waiver to make sure I'm covered for that. Will I be ok as long as I have that waiver?

I have sent my contractor a request to give me recommendations for materials and his response was: "what products are you referring to?"

Google the laws in your state.
Your best bet is to have every one that is a sub on a phone list and make the last payment after you have checked with every sub that they have been paid.

I am sure by now you can feel that every one that has been here is nervous about your contractor. He may be a good guy, just doesn't sound good for a women on her own. That doesn't mean men don't get cheated too.

There is tile on the floor now and plan to replace with luxury vinyl. The subfloor has durarock on top of it. The flooring is being done before the cabinetry comes in.

How do I know what the heavier stainless is? Is the lower gauge number the stronger product?

Countertop company is coming in to make a template once cabinetry is in and they are also doing the installation. I will make sure to take the measurements of the cabinetry with me when purchasing the sink.

For the bathroom, I have a stand alone tub that is going in, taking out a linen closet to extend shower. Re-tiling shower and wall behind tub. New floors and new bathroom shower and sink fixtures. Floor plan is staying the same with exception of the linen closet being removed.

Yes metal gets thicker with a lower number.

Google the laws in your state.
Your best bet is to have every one that is a sub on a phone list and make the last payment after you have checked with every sub that they have been paid.

I am sure by now you can feel that every one that has been here is nervous about your contractor. He may be a good guy, just doesn't sound good for a women on her own. That doesn't mean men don't get cheated too.

That is a GREAT recommendation and I will get a list of all of those people immediately. I want to know who will be in my home at all times, anyway.

Yes, I did get the sense that there are quite a few experts here that seem nervous about my contractor. I am nervous myself...hence the reason I am here. Words can't express how grateful I am for all the help. I feel pretty alone in this whole situation.

Have a look at this thread and you can see why we are nervous. this situation is still ongoing.
http://www.houserepairtalk.com/showthread.php?t=18716
and here are some sinks to look at.
https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=cr&ei=kEPrUr33HsyFogSg2IKIDA#q=composite+sinks&tbm=shop

This is just absolutely awful! My heart breaks for her. I hope this gets resolved, though sadly, she seems to have been trying for years now. Makes me very sad and scares me at the same time.

Thank you for the recommendations.

I like the idea of you taking this on while he is serving, but I am not sure it a good idea. If everything did go south on you, home coming might not be so sweet.
You need to be strong in so many ways and if some one pulled your legs out from under, you will not be the wife that hubby needs you to be.

I like the idea of you taking this on while he is serving, but I am not sure it a good idea. If everything did go south on you, home coming might not be so sweet.
You need to be strong in so many ways and if some one pulled your legs out from under, you will not be the wife that hubby needs you to be.

You are certainly right! The idea was for this to be a nice welcome home gift, but it definitely wouldn't be if things didn't work out. Your insight has been invaluable. I will try to iron out some things and make sure that I take the contract to the lawyer for review. If I still have a bad feeling about it, I will just have to fire him. Thank you again for all of your kindness!!

You are certainly right! The idea was for this to be a nice welcome home gift, but it definitely wouldn't be if things didn't work out. Your insight has been invaluable. I will try to iron out some things and make sure that I take the contract to the lawyer for review. If I still have a bad feeling about it, I will just have to fire him. Thank you again for all of your kindness!!

With the help from here I think you could hire the subs yourself, they are just not that hard to find.

I had a CAD drawing done of the design I wanted. Lowe's did it for me for a small fee. I took that drawing to a cabinet company and they assisted me in picking out the materials within my budget.

He didn't give me an option not to buy the materials. He hasn't really ever steered me away from getting them myself and actually complimented me on all the research I was doing. I'm still lost!

What do you mean, "pass on his pricing"? So his labor wouldn't be under warranty if I choose materials?

I am going to get with the city tomorrow regarding any permits that might be required.

If he bought the materials and did the install then he would have to warranty the entire job. If there was a defect he would have to fix. If you buy them he may not even warranty his labor. It leaves a lot on you as the buyer.

He likely gets better pricing than you at just about every construction material place. He would spend anywhere from 5-25% less than you just by being a contractor and even more if he uses the same places every time. Seems odd he doesn't have these. Personally I don't like doing jobs where you buy the materials because of the issues that could come up.

Here is a little info on lien releases and waivers, this is just from my experiences so things may vary but I do Commercial contracting everyday.

First ask for these items before he starts anything, there is no excuses for not having any.

Copy of General Liability insurance
Copy of work comp if he has employees (If not you are responsible if they get hurt at your house)
Commercial auto insurance (this one is entirely up to you, I am required to have it but not all are)

All three of these come on one cert from his insurance broker at no charge, could be separate if he doesn't use one broker for his insurances but can give you a copy of the declaration page anyway.

Get copy of his contractors license and if you can look it up for yourself do so.

Referencesare up to you if you want them and if you want to call on them but he is not going to give you a bad reference anyway.

Here are the waivers and when you ask for them, be firm on this part.

Get a list of all subs and vendors to be used.

#1 Conditional waiver or release of progress payment (ask for this one from him and any sub or material supplier he used before you write any check) (Even the deposit)
#2 Unconditional Waiver or release of progress payment (Ask for this one as soon as the you pay them and the check clears) (this is basically a receipt showing that you paid them)

You repeat the #1 and #2 for every payment until it comes to final payment

For final payment (this excludes retention, it has a box on it to show retention is still owed)

#3 Conditional waiver or release of final payment (ask for this one from him and any sub or material supplier he used before you write final check) (you will still owe retention)
#4 Unconditional Waiver or release of final payment (Ask for this one as soon as the you pay them and the check clears) (this is basically a receipt showing that you paid them)

Repeat the #3 and #4 for the retention payment at the end.

You can google examples or if you need I can email you some blank versions you can use if he makes any excuses that he doesnt have them.

Also ask for a warranty form for one year from the date of completion.

This is all standard stuff I do for every job so it is not asking for anything out of the ordinary. If he is any sort of seasoned contractor he will know about all of it.

If you want to make sure the subs get paid you can write a joint check to both him and the sub with the amount shown on the sub release as owed and take that out of his amount owed. it protects you and him even if he doesn't like it.

Last edited:

So while you are thinking about that.
Do not demo the cupboards, sell them to the people who would love to come and take them out. Craiglist.

Shower glass, call bathroom showroom and see if they have kits that fit a certain size shower pan or for just prices and at what stage they would need to measure for custom.

We have two huge appliance componies that have stores all over the place and they both sell mostly to new construction builders, they both do the glass for about half the price of a normal bath show room. You might also just check with lLowes or HD,

If you are going to buy from box stores I know lowes will give you 5% off every purchase if you get their card, might be worth it or even a prepaid just for the discount. On big purchases talk to the commercial sales counter, they can give discounts on everything.

I believe most of the vest and apron places give a very nice military discount as well.

I just read this whole thread and I have to agree with Neal and others something doesn’t seem right to me. This labor and overhead quote seems to be drawn out of thin air as he is quoting a job without knowing all your intentions or the full scope of the work. He is leaving a big part if not all the sub contractors responsibility on you the customer. It sounds like all he is really doing for his money is providing a connection between you and his subs and paying some bills.

The whole thing IMHO sounds like there will be way too many surprises down the road. My advise is to be very careful and slow down until all the ducks are in a line as they used to say. I have seen too many times all this misdirection and rushing and it never ends up good.

There are many approaches to a project you could hire a designer to put together the whole scope of the project and spell it all out in details as to exactly what you want. Then shop those designs around. If you know how to do it you could be your own designer. You can figure out what stuff you can do yourself. Or you could be your own general contractor and sub out your own work.

The direction you are going is all these directions at once and not coordinated.

Here is a little info on lien releases and waivers, this is just from my experiences so things may vary but I do Commercial contracting everyday.

First ask for these items before he starts anything, there is no excuses for not having any.

Copy of General Liability insurance
Copy of work comp if he has employees (If not you are responsible if they get hurt at your house)
Commercial auto insurance (this one is entirely up to you, I am required to have it but not all are)

All three of these come on one cert from his insurance broker at no charge, could be separate if he doesn't use one broker for his insurances but can give you a copy of the declaration page anyway.

Get copy of his contractors license and if you can look it up for yourself do so.

Referencesare up to you if you want them and if you want to call on them but he is not going to give you a bad reference anyway.

Here are the waivers and when you ask for them, be firm on this part.

Get a list of all subs and vendors to be used.

#1 Conditional waiver or release of progress payment (ask for this one from him and any sub or material supplier he used before you write any check) (Even the deposit)
#2 Unconditional Waiver or release of progress payment (Ask for this one as soon as the you pay them and the check clears) (this is basically a receipt showing that you paid them)

You repeat the #1 and #2 for every payment until it comes to final payment

For final payment (this excludes retention, it has a box on it to show retention is still owed)

#3 Conditional waiver or release of final payment (ask for this one from him and any sub or material supplier he used before you write final check) (you will still owe retention)
#4 Unconditional Waiver or release of final payment (Ask for this one as soon as the you pay them and the check clears) (this is basically a receipt showing that you paid them)

Repeat the #3 and #4 for the retention payment at the end.

You can google examples or if you need I can email you some blank versions you can use if he makes any excuses that he doesnt have them.

Also ask for a warranty form for one year from the date of completion.

This is all standard stuff I do for every job so it is not asking for anything out of the ordinary. If he is any sort of seasoned contractor he will know about all of it.

If you want to make sure the subs get paid you can write a joint check to both him and the sub with the amount shown on the sub release as owed and take that out of his amount owed. it protects you and him even if he doesn't like it.

Would you mind sending me copies of these things? I will pass them along to him before he will have a chance to say he doesn't know what they are. You could email them to me

This is VERY helpful, since it is one of the things that definitely hasn't come up yet. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you mind sending me copies of these things? I will pass them along to him before he will have a chance to say he doesn't know what they are. You could email them to me at
This is VERY helpful, since it is one of the things that definitely hasn't come up yet. Thank you!

:thbup:

Just click on his name and go to private.

Last edited:
The thing that keeps occurring to me is that without some coordination on products and materials with the contractor(s), there will be confusion or mis-measurement or scheduling conflicts, etc. resulting in delays (at best) and extra costs that are not expected. This can happen even if the GC is a good guy and on the level with you.

Latest posts

Back