Ideas to cover a gap.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Geile

Reaction score
I'm replacing my hideous aluminum siding with LP Smartside and updating the rain protection at the window installations.

The base is OSB. Then I put a layer of Tyvek and seal all seams as per manufacturer instrusions. Then I install the LP Smartside to the instructions.

I made z-flashing over the windows to improve water shed. The trim manufacturer recommends a 1/4 inch gap left above the z-flashing; I'm guessing that is so when water runs over the flashing that it doesn't soak into the trim piece. I used Tyvek tape to seal the Tyvec to the flashing - make all water run down. However, after the trim is up, you can see the Tyvek printing through the 1/4 gap above the window - it's fairly noticeable.

Caulking the gap doesn't make sense - the whole purpose of the z-flashing is to let waster run to the outside and down the exterior. And I doubt if the Tyvek tape will take paint.

Any suggestions on how to cover the gap so the tape printing isn't visible while retaining the desired drainage?

Sneak the blade in there and cut it.
That's one idea. But the tape is about 1.5 inches back and the flashing is thin aluminum - so the knife could cut it during surgery. But I could cut lightly, then get an edge to peal up, and use a needle-nose to try and pull it off. Could be a bit tedious, but a plausible approach.

Tape off the gap and spray matching paint into the gap. Rattle can paint should work if you mask it off well enough to not get overspray on the surface.

That's a good idea - although I don't know if paint will adhere to the tape. But a minor variation is to use a black, permanent marker. I think I'll try the marker and if that doesn't work will use the paint.

Thanks to you both for the ideas!

Back