Installing Walkout Basement Door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With out knowing where you are or what the frost level is but the bottom of the footing was about 6 ft below ground level and now is about 10", could be a problem.

I am in Cincinnati and the frost line is 3'. I keep trying to attach the new pics with the issues but I keep getting an error about a security token is missing

So before the hole was cut for the door the you needed to under pin the footing to 3 ft below the new ground level for 3 ft on each side of the opening or 3 ft past the walls of the staircase,
Even if you have drainage on the outside perimeter it is just below the sidewalk level and water below that can and will freeze and heave you walls.

So before the hole was cut for the door the you needed to under pin the footing to 3 ft below the new ground level for 3 ft on each side of the opening or 3 ft past the walls of the staircase,
Even if you have drainage on the outside perimeter it is just below the sidewalk level and water below that can and will freeze and heave you walls.

One contractor mentioned something like that on the phone, said I could have widened the footer. But weird thing is that I have no cracks in concrete or the concrete slab. All cracks are above the door and it seems like the left corner dropped, maybe from removing a section of the footer. It is only one the left side that dropped so I kind of do not see any heaving issues because of no cracks.

So bring me up to speed on this whole job.
Two 4x4 headers? side by side? sitting on what?
In one picture we can see some pink foam in front of the footing, how deep did that go down and was it continued across.

So bring me up to speed on this whole job.
Two 4x4 headers? side by side? sitting on what?
In one picture we can see some pink foam in front of the footing, how deep did that go down and was it continued across.

It is actualy one 4x6 header I had to remove everything and it's been 10 years I forogt. The 4x6 header is sitting on 2x6 jack stud that is screwed into a 2x6 king stud. The king studs are attached to the concrete where it was cut. Oh that is where the thick *** pink foam board I had in my basement was used for.

So the floor inside is not attached to the wall so movement of one might not be noticeable in the other.
You had the hole cut and either removed the concrete all the way to the footing and replaced it or cut the hole level with the floor.
Either way a suspected crack would be under the threshold of the door.
That piece of foam may have been enough to protect the one side, so only one side was effected.
Even with out the foundation issue there should have been a flashing above the exposed wood above the door trim to keep water out of the framing.
Just a header that swells from moisture could be close to 1/2 inch.

Any more updates on this project?

I'm looking to do the same job and found this information on the web. Is it possible you didn't insulate the footing properly?

frost protect.JPG

Latest posts

Back