Insulating an exterior bedroom wall that never had insulation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I plan on going to the corner and hopefully hitting a corner stud? I will measure out 8' and if it doesn't fall on a stud I'll measure back until there is one and that will be my sheet.

Yeah, I plan on going to the corner and hopefully hitting a corner stud? I will measure out 8' and if it doesn't fall on a stud I'll measure back until there is one and that will be my sheet.

Yeah, I would by full length sheet but yes that works.

Go to the corners, the big boxes sell 12' board and there is a method called flat taping to clean up the corners so primer and paint will finish.

So my father in law kind of talked me into the expanding foam idea saying it would cost appx $400 for the materials to do my original idea. The room is appx 12x10x14 of walls needed and standard height(7'10"?). Any ideas of how they price this and total time to do it? Am I looking at double the price or more? I'd prefer them to do this from the inside as to not have patch the stucco side but a rather a few Sheetrock plugs.

So my father in law kind of talked me into the expanding foam idea saying it would cost appx $400 for the materials to do my original idea. The room is appx 12x10x14 of walls needed and standard height(7'10"?). Any ideas of how they price this and total time to do it? Am I looking at double the price or more? I'd prefer them to do this from the inside as to not have patch the stucco side but a rather a few Sheetrock plugs.

Try at least 3 times your original plan, even valuing your labor.

Unless, of course, you are doing a 12' wall, a 10' wall and a 14' wall, then the quoted price is accurate.

Last edited:
That's insane, this is for somebody else doing it or me renting the equipment? My sister had the cellulose blown in at her whole house for under $1000 13 years ago!? Has pricing changed that much? This is 3 exterior walls totaling about 40 linear feet and standard 8 ft ceiling.

That's insane, this is for somebody else doing it or me renting the equipment? My sister had the cellulose blown in at her whole house for under $1000 13 years ago!? Has pricing changed that much? This is 3 exterior walls totaling about 40 linear feet and standard 8 ft ceiling.

That's you doing the work, and if you can rent the foam application equip.

Renting the cellulose blower isn't a factor, the big boxes have them.

There is a substantial difference between an attic and exterior walls, just in the initial labor.

You can price it out on their web sites.

If you think you need outlets now’s the time to do them. Maybe even a window. I have framed a window and then covered it with drywall and when the weather got good put it in.

That a great idea but have bigger fish to fry right now, I like your thinking though��I have plenty on my plate in regards to home repairs��

Interesting diagonal bracing. It's old school.

You could have used unfaced insulation batts, because the drywall is the vapor barrier.

Interesting diagonal bracing. It's old school.

You could have used unfaced insulation batts, because the drywall is the vapor barrier.

That is what you find when they is no sheeting on the outside.

Drywall and paint are very low on the scale for vapour barriers.
Although I would have left off the paper and gone with sheet poly to stop all air leaks. I don't think we can buy paper faced anymore.

Remember, the OP is in CA and we don't use poly here.

Kraft faced is available by the truck loads.

Drywall is considered the vapor barrier.

I thin if you check the code, he is really close to what is asked for in Cal.
And to the drywall, dry wall is an air barrier not a vapour barrier

Vapour diffusion is the process of moisture passing through breathable building materials, like drywall and insulation. Vapour barriers are there to prevent that from happening.

And that's the paper back on the board.

Remember, this CA not BC.

Sure it does, in new construction, which this is not.

So, I have a question.

Before the insulation was installed, what was the vapor barrier?

So, I have a question.

Before the insulation was installed, what was the vapor barrier?

None, air barrier was drywall.
If you say no vapour barrier is required, likely right if you don't have to contend with cold that condenses the moisture in the air.
But you do need air barrier on both sides so warm moist air has no reason to get in the wall. But the code does say (if) paper backed is required.

Latest posts

Back