Insulating "ceiling" of conditioned crawlspace

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Glabach

Reaction score
I have installed vapor barrier and insulation on the dirt floor and and cinderblock walls in the crawlspace of my house. I have dehumidifiers in that crawl space. It's helped with the humidity in my house but the floors are cold in the winter (Ithaca NY area).

My floors are still cold in the winter and we get occasional odors from ground or animals. Can I spray foam the joists of the crawl space to keep odors out and floors warm in my single story house?

Is there a risk associated with applying this spray foam to a the ceiling of my conditioned crawl space? Moisture/ condensation/ other?

Thanks,
Rick

I can't speak to the moisture/condensation issue, but I learned one thing for sure about spray-on foam. It's horrible to remove. My stud bays were filled with plumbing runs, Romex, and TV and audio wires. Foam is a one-way experiment IMHO. If I really wanted to try this, and I remained unsure about foam, I would buy a few bundles of fiberglass (vapor barrier?), choose a guarter of the house floor area, and nail it up there. If you're sorry you can pull it down in minutes. If you're happy - do the rest.

Back