Insulating Floor Joists in Crawl Space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Miller

Reaction score
I would like to insulate between the floor joists in my crawl space.

1. Crawl space is vented.
2. Crawl space has a vapor barrier down.

Joists are 16'in on center.

Should I use faced or non faced and what about R value?

I live in the Dayton, Ohio area.

Any "facing" should face the conditioned area, so if your question was as a method of attachment, that's answered.

R-19 batt insulation will fill the joist space and there are several products designed to facilitate retaining it in the joist bay.

Another consideration is the distance between the floor framing and grade.

Find a way to close all holes in the floor around pipes or what ever so you have no air coming from below and insulate any pipes below you floor level. The subfloor is considered a vapour barrier no paper or anything is wanted or needed.

Find a way to close all holes in the floor around pipes or what ever so you have no air coming from below and insulate any pipes below you floor level. The subfloor is considered a vapour barrier no paper or anything is wanted or needed.
Are you saying I can use insulation with no backing or facing on it. I have measured the joists and they are 15 in wide and 7 in deep.

Are you saying I can use insulation with no backing or facing on it. I have measured the joists and they are 15 in wide and 7 in deep.
The paper would be a vapour barrier, it always goes to the warm side, if the subfloor is sealed so there is no air going into the house you can consider the floor a vapour barrier so there is no need for the paper. Holding insulation in place with a wire mesh or something like that will also keep critters out of it.

Today I tried to find r 30 roll insulation. It seems that it only comes in bats. The r 30 was unfaced. I need the faced type. I wanted the rolls because you can get longer lengths... Any thoughts or suggestions

Latest posts

Back