Insulation Strategy

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krich

Reaction score
So, I'm in the planning stages of building a barndominium (commercial metal building finished on the inside as a residential home) and I need to educate myself on Insulation Strategy

When the metal building guys put up the shell, they will be using roll insulation on the roof and walls like you would see on the inside of a commercial metal building. I hear this is for preventing the metal walls from sweating and this roll insulation doesn't have a lot of R value

So, there will be wood studs along the walls of the structure where insulation will be used between the studs like you';d see in a regular house... so what's the best brand to use? And are the sections of insulation kept in place using staples from a staple gun?

And the same insulation will be used between the studs on top as well. Do I need to consider using wrap on the studs facing the outer walls? Like the stuff at: INTELLO PLUS

There's already going to be space between the metal walls that have roll insulation that comes with the metal building and there will be insulation in between the studs... so is using the wrap stuff needed to help seal the inside?

What other advice should I be looking for to help my project to be as efficient as possible?

Because it costs so much, I'm not considering spray in foam insulation and wanted to do something more conventional.

After reading some articles about this, blanket insulation (in between the studs) and rigid boards may be the way to go

Would the rigid boards go on the interior walls before hanging the dry wall right over the rigid boards?

Here's a How to Article I found on insulating barndominiums:

https://www.barndominiumlife.com/barndominium-insulation

I'd think yes, you'd need to use longer drywall screws to go through the rigid insulation boards and into the studs. I'd tape all the joints between the rigid panels. I kind of like sprayed Poly-Iso insulation as it gives you a great vapor barrier and seals all the nooks and crannies.

Couldn't I just put that wrap stuff on the interior studs and tape it all up to be air tight... before hanging the dry wall?

Like this stuff . . . INTELLO PLUS . . . which is supposed to be top notch, top of the line!

It's supposed to be so good, NASA is going to use it on their next building! cool4.gif

Here's an install video and yes they say is is supposed to be put on the inside of the studs after regular insulation is put in.

Looks like a vapor barrier. If you were putting closed cell foam board over the fiberglass it would be a vapor barrier as well. You don't want multiple vapor barriers. Tape the joints with a long term tape and you've got a solid vapor barrier.

I'm working with Habitat for Humanity on a build here in the Raleigh area. They use extruded polystyrene over the OSB sheathing. They tape all the joints and do not use Tyvek or other house wrap. They also foam all the stud to sheathing connections. They do this for Energy ratings in the building envelope.

I would be using this wrap only, and would not be using cell foam board.
And of course tape would be used just like in thier instructional video

And before putting this wrap on, regular insulation would be put between the studs

And if one wanted to spend a little extra, they could do blow in insulation between the studs and the metal building wall for even better R rating. There's an open space between the studs and the metal building wall

I doubt I would do that since regular insulation and this wrap stuff should be enough

Last edited:
I would be using this wrap only, and would not be using cell foam board.
And of course tape would be used just like in thier instructional video

And before putting this wrap on, regular insulation would be put between the studs

And if one wanted to spend a little extra, they could do blow in insulation between the studs and the metal building wall for even better R rating. There's an open space between the studs and the metal building wall

I doubt I would do that since regular insulation and this wrap stuff should be enough

I was going by this line from your second post regarding the foam insulation boards... Would the rigid boards go on the interior walls before hanging the dry wall right over the rigid boards?

What did you mean here?

I'm learning as I research to educate myself about all the different aspects of building a house. Now that I've seen this instructional video, I'll go with what these guys are doing.

Prior to seeing this video,. I wasn't sure any any of this worked... now the foam board are no longer being considered after seeing this instructional video.

I understand that some people use form board, but my metal building will have something very similar put on the building skeleton tight before they install the metal siding and metal roofing panels... so there shouldn't be any need for foam boards at all.

Back