Is this a weight bearing wall?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't doubt you can put the cabin on your property. I was questioning making it a legal apartment. You can't just park Rvs, mobile homes, or cabins on your property and rent them out. There is zoning and code laws you need to find out. You can always do an illegal rental but trying to evict a tentant for not paying on an illegal rental could be ...awkward in court.
Thanks......... was not aware of zoning rental issues. Will check. This is not a wealthy newish high dollar home area. It's not a run down area either. 1/5 ? of the homes are rentals though and there is an old still in operation Mobile home park up the road with "old" RV and mobile homes on it in use. So I have doubt those restrictions exist "here" but one should not "assume"

Last edited:
Call me Villa's picture shows it done correctly. and that's not a bad link either. Just be careful with the roof, it is the thing above your head, sounds like you've got a plan though and getting a good 3d model done of the house is the key. THE FIRST thing I did when I bought my house since I didn't get the blueprints (still bitter) is build a PRO-E 3D model of the house so I knew where everything was. I do that of every house I buy, well except Condos that'd be pointless. I then guessed at wiring locations etc, it has come in handy quite a bit since I've done so much work on the home. I also make notes on things as I go.

I took a thermal camera into my house and saw a cold wall that partitioned a 8ft ceiling to a vaulted ceiling. A few months later I went up in the attic for some other stuff saw a note about it and went over to where it was... The previous owner had run a new wire for a fan and didn't bother to put insulation up against the drywall where he had moved it away. Also left a blanket and a pillow... The only attic access is from the roof so it's crazy to think he would go up there with blown insulation and sleep but... why else would there be a pillow? 5sq ft of non insulated drywall... so I fixed that then did the rest... It's just a matter of doing one thing at a time as you can.

Latest posts

Back