Is this siding salvageable or should I replace?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeriesOfTubes

Reaction score
Pictures here

1950s house with detached garage and I'm writing here about the garage. Very likely the original garage siding that is in rough shape. At some point before I owned it, the garage was covered in creeping vines. I live in a snow state so there is 2-3 feet of snow along the bottom of the garage every year during the winter. Some of the lower boards appear to be rotting. Is it worth trying to save this siding or should I tear it all off and go with something like vinyl?

Welcome.

Unless you are planning an entire property change in the siding, I'd just repair and paint, and shovel.

Welcome.

Unless you are planning an entire property change in the siding, I'd just repair and paint, and shovel.
Thanks. I was debating between replacing with vinyl siding versus repair/repaint. I do not have experience with either task and I've been reading about how easy it is to do vinyl. I suppose I could try to replace the bottom boards that appear to be rotting.

Back