Joist support in window replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmythicc

Reaction score
Hello all, hope everyone’s had a good weekend. I’m new to the website and this is my first post.

I have recently purchased a fixer upper and am wanting to replace basement windows with newer vinyl windows. As you can see by the photo, it is very much needed. There are two windows on this poured foundation wall that have joists above them. The joist is going into concrete but the bottom of the joist is resting on the frame of the window. I am wondering what the best way to go about replacing this window is. I know I could leave the frame and put a smaller window in but I already have the windows purchased and their dimensions would require me to take out all the wood for them to fit. Would a joist hanger be enough structural support? Thank you in advance for your guys help!

Attachments

• IMG_4475.jpeg
    IMG_4475.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
WELCOME.
Actually, the 1st 12" of any milled lumber is not considered of value, because of natural occurring splitting, and you should already have a rim joist, and that joist isn't doubled, so the likelihood of a wall load above is remote, I'd remove the window and then check for any deflection, 1st.

Back