kitchen cabinet faceframe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helimech

Reaction score
Need some advice on the best tool or method to trim the sides of my oak faceframe cabinets. I need a new refrigerator and the opening between the wall and the cabinets is 35 1/2 inches. The new refrigerators I have looked at are 35 3/4 inch wide. I don't want a 33 inch model. I was thinking about removing the cabinets and trimming approx. 1/16 inch of the edge of the face frame. Six cabinets trimmed 1/16 on each side will gain me 3/4 inch total when reassembled back together. The trimmed edges need to be straight and accurate because they butt together. I know its alot of work, but I don't want to modify the wall.

Is there a filler piece in the run?

Otherwise you need to clamp a straight egde to the cabinet and use a circular saw with a 40 tooth finish blade. Put painters tape on the face of the cabinets to protect the finish and from chipping on the cut.

That is a ton of work, but

Good Luck

Post a picture or 2 of the area maybe there are other options

Last edited:
Use a hand plane...the old fashioned way. I would stay away from the circular saw unless you are a real pro.

I agree hand plane is the best I would use a n0. 4 but the problem is you have to get the cabinet off the wall. I think a better application would be to scribe a line on the cabinet and use a belt sander perpendicular to the face frame and slowly take it down to the line. I would also be prepared with a scribe molding just to cover up the joint between the refrigerator and the cabinet.

Good luck.

Back