Kitchen or bathroom reno - best bang for buck.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the kitchen; There are adapters available at hdw. stores that will thread into your faucet and allow you to connect your existing DW.

Is the hood vented to the exterior, or recirculating?

What is the orfice to the left of the range?

When you relocate those appliances you can either reverse the refer doors, add another cabinet to the left of the refer or relocate the DW, giving a resting place for Items removed from the refer

Adding a shelf unit, or shelves between the upper and the relocated hood upper allows you to maintain access to the corner base cabinets.

Instead of new doors, you could relocate the lower hrdw. patch and paint.

As for the bath; If you can live with it, wait until you are ready to sell, then spruce it up, paint it up, have have the tub refinished and move on.

The hood is vented to the exterior via a pipe in the front closet.

I would have to change out the spray head on it now. I like that version.

The orifice is the hook up for a central vac system.

I can live with both rooms. Kinda like you can live with one leg. My goal is to make it better. Living here for a year, I hate both rooms. I am not sure if I can do both rooms, but I want to do one.

Bathroom doesn't look too bad to me. I've seen a LOT worse. At least it doesn't have carpet (which mine did). It certainly looks better than my bathrooms. I'd suggest putting up some wainscotting like some beadboard or something along the bottom walls to cover up the missing chunk. Give the walls a fresh coat of paint. For the floor, you can get some new sheet vinyl and can probably get away with just laying it over the existing floor. They have some you don't even have to glue down so long as you secure the edges. Or you could pull up the old flooring and put in peel & stick vinyl. There are some types that look nice.
For the wall behind the sink and toilet, there are glossy wall panels you can put up or some plastic wall things you can glue up there. Or maybe you could just go with some FRP.

For the tile around the tub, you could probably get one of those refinishing kits where you sort of paint over it and make it look newer. You may be able to refinish the tub as well. I think due to the size o the tub, it might be harder to find modular surround/tub kits. Although I think Maax might have some but they are pricey.
You can get some

The euro style sink and toilet look fine to me- as does the space saver over the toilet.

Kitchen looks worse to me (although the floor looks to be in decent condition). For the countertops, there are actually kits to paint them and epoxy over them if you wanted to go with something different. It can give the look of granite without actually being granite and it doesn't look like cheap stuff.

For the cabinets, if they aren't falling apart, you can probably paint them and maybe change out the hardware/knobs and stuff.

The floor looks nice though.

Is that an old computer monitor on top of the fridge?

Bathroom doesn't look too bad to me. I've seen a LOT worse. At least it doesn't have carpet (which mine did). It certainly looks better than my bathrooms. I'd suggest putting up some wainscotting like some beadboard or something along the bottom walls to cover up the missing chunk. Give the walls a fresh coat of paint. For the floor, you can get some new sheet vinyl and can probably get away with just laying it over the existing floor. They have some you don't even have to glue down so long as you secure the edges. Or you could pull up the old flooring and put in peel & stick vinyl. There are some types that look nice.
For the wall behind the sink and toilet, there are glossy wall panels you can put up or some plastic wall things you can glue up there. Or maybe you could just go with some FRP.

For the tile around the tub, you could probably get one of those refinishing kits where you sort of paint over it and make it look newer. You may be able to refinish the tub as well. I think due to the size o the tub, it might be harder to find modular surround/tub kits. Although I think Maax might have some but they are pricey.
You can get some

The euro style sink and toilet look fine to me- as does the space saver over the toilet.

Kitchen looks worse to me (although the floor looks to be in decent condition). For the countertops, there are actually kits to paint them and epoxy over them if you wanted to go with something different. It can give the look of granite without actually being granite and it doesn't look like cheap stuff.

For the cabinets, if they aren't falling apart, you can probably paint them and maybe change out the hardware/knobs and stuff.

The floor looks nice though.

Is that an old computer monitor on top of the fridge?

For the bathroom:
I can get another tub the same size at Home Depot.
The tile is cracked.
I can remove all the wood, and simply paint the walls.

For the kitchen:
The uppers do not go to the ceiling.
I do not like the layout.
A house near here went up for sale and I saw their pictures. they have a similar space for their kitchen, but the layout was better.

For the bathroom:
I can get another tub the same size at Home Depot.
The tile is cracked.
I can remove all the wood, and simply paint the walls.

For the kitchen:
The uppers do not go to the ceiling.
I do not like the layout.
A house near here went up for sale and I saw their pictures. they have a similar space for their kitchen, but the layout was better.

People everywhere are changing bathrooms, just because.
I would be watching used building material places or Habitat re-stores for near new acrylic tub and sometimes they have enough tile, Guess where HD gets rid of old stock tile.

The hood is vented to the exterior via a pipe in the front closet.

Thanks. Then your alternatives are access to the pipe, the roof or ventless.

I would have to change out the spray head on it now. I like that version.

Unless you have a blank hole in the sink, which allows you to select another style of faucet that would accommodate that feature, as well as the existing DW.

The orifice is the hook up for a central vac system.

Thanks, that's what it appeared as.

I can live with both rooms. Kinda like you can live with one leg. My goal is to make it better. Living here for a year, I hate both rooms. I am not sure if I can do both rooms, but I want to do one.

The statement referred to the bathroom.

Your additional criteria was "bang for your buck", and the advice afforded you regarding the % of the value and the ability to recover, is absolutely correct, IE. the more you invest, the longer your occupancy to attain equity, let alone profit, will be.

Neal is right that you can look at some Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores if they are in your area or look at surplus warehouses and such. If you don't want to put up new tile, you can probably take down the old tile and put up modular wall surrounds that don't require a specific tub. But you may be able to find a set that is modular and fits the 59x31 space.

I was going to suggest adding something on top of the existing cabinets so they go to the ceiling (or almost all the way to the ceiling). And having one over the fridge too. You don't have to tear out the old cabinets themselves if they are in good condition, but you can replace the doors. Re-using as much material as you can would be good.

And anything you can comfortably DIY in terms of labor can save you some $.

Keep in mind that you don't have to fix both rooms at one time. You can try to save up some $ and then do things a little at a time. I think first order of business would be to tackle that tub an tile, then paint the walls, and then do the floor (that way no risk of paint getting on the floor).

Do you have any pictures or sketches of the layout of the kitchen you liked better than your own?

I can't remember if you've said what your budget limits are. How much are you willing/able to spend?

It would also help to know what your wish list is for fixing up each room. What needs to be done, what would you like to do, etc. We can compare the ideal to what is practical and see if there can be a meeting somewhere in between.

Edit to add that I found a shower/tub unit that is 59"x31" by Maax. The Monaco alcove tub/shower http://www.maax.com/en/products/bathtubs/tub-showers/monaco-adv
Not sure on price though. But I do know that Surplus Warehouse carries some Maax surrounds for decent prices. Not sure if you have one in your area though.

Last edited:
For the kitchen I would wait until that new workshop is built (garage) you could build some new boxes to go with the cupboards and re arrange them and order new doors.
Most houses that old still had the box above the cupboards and that is good place to hide the duct for a hood vent.

Good-Old-Kitchen-Cabinets-HD-Picture-Image.jpg

For the tub you could look at Bathfitters, they come in and in a day cover your bathtub and surround with a new acrylic cover. Better than applying a coat of paint. I like the wainscotting idea in the bathroom or just fixing the drywall and repainting. I'd avoid peel and stick and go with a vinyl plank floor instead. Pretty easy to install DIY. I did some for Appalachia Service Project a year or two ago in a bathroom. If you're handy you can have the bathroom done in a few hours.

I'd go for the kitchen. Stock cabinets from the home center would be a great option. If you avoid having a U-shaped kitchen and no island or peninsula you can use stock post-form laminate counters. Islands, peninsulas, and U-shaped require custom counters. Making your own isn't hard if you're handy and have a few tools. I would try to incorporate the dishwasher into the cabinets and get away from the portable. A portable dishwasher is considered personal property and not an improvement to the house. It doesn't add value.

As far as the Habitat Reuse Centers, I haven't found any great bargains in our local store. They charge an arm and a leg for used kitchen cabinets. You may have better luck looking on Craig's List for someone selling their complete kitchen.

You also need to decide which market your improvements are directed to address; The move in and life is wonderful, The remodel before they move in or the starter family with their eye on the long term future.

Each require a different budget.

I believe that Surplus Warehouse actually does some free kitchen planning and help. And they sell prefab laminate countertops with 45 degree corner cuts to make U-shaped or L-shaped counters. They have a decent range of cabinet options too. I believe the term used for the countertops with the angle is "mitered". An example (but it doesn't show a picture of the miter). It says it is mitered on the right.

Sparky, I suppose it depends on the particular ReStore. The one that was near me (before it closed down) had very cheap prices on stuff. But maybe that was part of why they shut down. They do have facebook pages and if you find the store in your area (if there is one) they often show pictures and have prices of what they have. Btw, since you mentioned the vinyl plank flooring, what kind do you find to be good? And did you get click lock or glue down?

I agree on trying the built-in dishwasher. I have a freestanding one and it can be a real pain at times. Have to push it over to the sink and hook it up and can't use the sink while it's hooked up. It would eliminate the problem with needing the right attachment for the faucet.

Last edited:
Zannej,
The vinyl plank was click and lock. I don't remember the brand. It was pretty easy to lay down and once in place it didn't shift around.

I've seen counters at the home center with one 45 cut but never on both ends, that is why I was saying it becomes custom. the second 45 needs to be carefully cut because you have to install it in an enclosed area against two walls. Not something you can carry stock since even two identical houses built by the same builder at the same time would have the identical measurements for the counters. Not sure how much extra the cut would be, but you're not in Lowe's and Home Depot at that point. They don't have the tools to do it in store.

Our HFH has some bargins, mainly in used (and abused) furniture that would be OK for a college apartment. The prices they charge for used cabinets that aren't in great shape is incredible. For just a few bucks more I can get brand new unfinished oak cabinets or white laminated cabinets from Home Depot or Lowes. As they say YMMV.

Neal is right that you can look at some Habitat for Humanity Re-Stores if they are in your area or look at surplus warehouses and such. If you don't want to put up new tile, you can probably take down the old tile and put up modular wall surrounds that don't require a specific tub. But you may be able to find a set that is modular and fits the 59x31 space.

I was going to suggest adding something on top of the existing cabinets so they go to the ceiling (or almost all the way to the ceiling). And having one over the fridge too. You don't have to tear out the old cabinets themselves if they are in good condition, but you can replace the doors. Re-using as much material as you can would be good.

And anything you can comfortably DIY in terms of labor can save you some $.

Keep in mind that you don't have to fix both rooms at one time. You can try to save up some $ and then do things a little at a time. I think first order of business would be to tackle that tub an tile, then paint the walls, and then do the floor (that way no risk of paint getting on the floor).

Do you have any pictures or sketches of the layout of the kitchen you liked better than your own?

I can't remember if you've said what your budget limits are. How much are you willing/able to spend?

It would also help to know what your wish list is for fixing up each room. What needs to be done, what would you like to do, etc. We can compare the ideal to what is practical and see if there can be a meeting somewhere in between.

Edit to add that I found a shower/tub unit that is 59"x31" by Maax. The Monaco alcove tub/shower http://www.maax.com/en/products/bathtubs/tub-showers/monaco-adv
Not sure on price though. But I do know that Surplus Warehouse carries some Maax surrounds for decent prices. Not sure if you have one in your area though.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/17981106/170-DAVID-Street-Chelmsford-Ontario-P0M1L0

This is the listing of my neighbour's house. I like the layout of their kitchen.

For the kitchen I would wait until that new workshop is built (garage) you could build some new boxes to go with the cupboards and re arrange them and order new doors.
Most houses that old still had the box above the cupboards and that is good place to hide the duct for a hood vent.

I will be waiting for the garage to be done.

I plan to do the room reno during the winter.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Single-Family/17981106/170-DAVID-Street-Chelmsford-Ontario-P0M1L0

This is the listing of my neighbour's house. I like the layout of their kitchen.
Ooh, I really like the cabinets they used. The doors are the kind I want in my kitchen-- raised panel cathedral style. I also like how they put cabinets all around the fridge. And I see they have soffits above some of the other cabinets. Interesting how they have their microwave on a shelf.

Swim,
Judging by all your posts, you've got several years of projects ahead on a house you only plan on living in for 5 years. Keep an eye on your neighborhood comps and don't over improve. You don't want to be the most expensive house in the neighborhood, you'll never get the money back you put into it.

Swim,
Judging by all your posts, you've got several years of projects ahead on a house you only plan on living in for 5 years. Keep an eye on your neighborhood comps and don't over improve. You don't want to be the most expensive house in the neighborhood, you'll never get the money back you put into it.

Lol. I got this house or a steal. So, even now, I could get what the listing of my neighbour's is, and still walk away laughing to the bank.

I plan one doing 1 major reno a year. Everything will be something that annoys me about this place, and something that can ad value to the house. Last year was the roof. This year is the garage.

Back