Kitchen Remodel - Advice?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobes

Reaction score
With the financial details agreed upon, my wife and I are finally starting to move forward with planning our kitchen remodel. It's a 25-26 year old home, with a kitchen with a fine floor plan. We're not looking to move plumbing or electrical, our appliances are all in fine shape, and for the most part it'll be a very nearly identical layout of cabinetry and island. Flooring will also remain the same.

That said - and with some feedback from a previous posting in the PF forum - I think we're game for using a designer, so that we don't do something foolish and regret it for the next 20 years! We have checked out NKBA (.org) and identified a few local people that we'll likely invite over for a very preliminary chat/evaluation. However, we're finding that most of these people are also general contractors. As in, I think that they are more intent on designing and implementing themselves, likely including their own suppliers. We know some people (friends of friends) that *could* be good contractors to do the work (and maybe offer a fairer price), as well other people that might be good sources of material (i.e. we are good friends with a countertop granite guy), so we weren't necessarily intent on rolling the design and construction crew into one. I'd rather isolate these two if it makes sense, as it seems like it could save some money and conflict of interest. It seems like CAD should be at a place these days where any decent contractor could read/implement the plans from any unrelated decent designer, assuming the latter didn't design to some specialized ($$$) cabinetry that they're trying to get a cut from. Is this a fair assessment? The whole thing just seems a little murky, but I guess that's the industry.

In addition to getting the granite countertops from a buddy, we are very content with just purchasing cabinetry online. In this perfect world in my head, the designer helps us select cabinetry from an online source, sizes it for us ... we order it, and the contractor installs. Can it be this easy?

With the financial details agreed upon, my wife and I are finally starting to move forward with planning our kitchen remodel. It's a 25-26 year old home, with a kitchen with a fine floor plan. We're not looking to move plumbing or electrical, our appliances are all in fine shape, and for the most part it'll be a very nearly identical layout of cabinetry and island. Flooring will also remain the same.

That said - and with some feedback from a previous posting in the PF forum - I think we're game for using a designer, so that we don't do something foolish and regret it for the next 20 years! We have checked out NKBA (.org) and identified a few local people that we'll likely invite over for a very preliminary chat/evaluation. However, we're finding that most of these people are also general contractors. As in, I think that they are more intent on designing and implementing themselves, likely including their own suppliers. We know some people (friends of friends) that *could* be good contractors to do the work (and maybe offer a fairer price), as well other people that might be good sources of material (i.e. we are good friends with a countertop granite guy), so we weren't necessarily intent on rolling the design and construction crew into one. I'd rather isolate these two if it makes sense, as it seems like it could save some money and conflict of interest. It seems like CAD should be at a place these days where any decent contractor could read/implement the plans from any unrelated decent designer here is a result i found https://mayflowerva.com/kitchen-remodeling-potomac-md, assuming the latter didn't design to some specialized ($$$) cabinetry that they're trying to get a cut from. Is this a fair assessment? The whole thing just seems a little murky, but I guess that's the industry.

In addition to getting the granite countertops from a buddy, we are very content with just purchasing cabinetry online. In this perfect world in my head, the designer helps us select cabinetry from an online source, sizes it for us ... we order it, and the contractor installs. Can it be this easy?
thanks in advance for any help

You've stated your location as, United States.

Care to narrow that down?

You're right in thinking that most designers are in it to get the contracting job. Whether it's a cabinet company or a contractor or the Home Depot. If you know where you're buying your cabinets, they may do the design and let you pick the contractor.
Or you can find an independent designer/architect.

Of the 5, custom cabinet mfg'rs, in the L.A. basin, who referred me to customers, they referred to this OP, as an if-n-maybe'er, IE, if you freely provide me with design, door and stain samples, counter referrals and samples, and, at your expense, drive me around to appliance outlets, I, maybe, will do business with you.

All of them have developed their own method of weeding them out, in a pre-interview, phone call.

Of the 5, custom cabinet mfg'rs, in the L.A. basin, who referred me to customers, they referred to this OP, as an if-n-maybe'er, IE, if you freely provide me with design, door and stain samples, counter referrals and samples, and, at your expense, drive me around to appliance outlets, I, maybe, will do business with you.

All of them have developed their own method of weeding them out, in a pre-interview, phone call to affordable kitchen remodeling richmond va.
thank you so much for your suggestion

When we did the kitchen we had a pretty good idea what we wanted so we really didn't need a "designer." We visited a couple different cabinet shops and they put together a plan and gave us layout and some renderings to show what it would look like along with a cost. We ended up going custom and they did the same thing but actually came out and measured themselves before the build. The cabinet shop installed the cabinets. We did the demo but I hired most of the rest due to my time limitations at the time. Sounds like it's mainly cabinets and counters. What sort of mistakes are you worried about? BTW there will probably be something in the end you wish you would have done differently.

Nobes, I'll bet you can design the job and will have fun doing it!

Here's A Trick:
Do you remember the toy called "Colorforms"? It had a board and a bunch of stick-on shapes.
You can buy the board & vinyl in sheets on line or at office stores.

We cut out many sizes of cabinets & appliances to scale from the vinyl & "drew" with masking tape the scale perimeter of the kitchen.

Then we got to experiment with the fake cabinets until we found a combination that fit and that we liked.

Paul

I don't know your location or if there is something like a Cabinets-To-Go in your area but the one we went to had the ability to design our kitchen with a CAD type program on the spot and design the layout based on dimensions I brought in with me. We knew how we wanted the kitchen to look. Their plan was used to select and order the appropriate sized cabinets. This was the plan view with the cabinet sizes. They can make just about any size cabinet.

1706801951509.png

The information you need to supply is;
The dimensions of the room
Where the windows, sink(s) and appliances are going to be.
The software also produces a profile view of each wall that looks like this (below)...
1706802910381.png
While waiting for your cabinets to be built and delivered you need to make sure your plumbing is up to code, and electrical is where you want it. This is a good time to add outlets and wiring for under cabinet lighting to make it a modern kitchen.

Before:
(I had just started demo'ing the wall on the right side)

1706803396172.png

During demo: (This is where the kitchen sink was. There was a lot of water damage.) You can see the new 12gauge wire.
1706803443109.png

1706804661854.png

After:

1706803813212.png

Ron Van's excellent post above reminded me that Ikea has a free 3-D kitchen design planner to download. I'm pretty sure they also have people available to help design, but don't know the cost, if any.

Paul

PS: Yay for using nail guards, Ron! They sure are inexpensive insurance.

Taunton Press (Fine Hombuilding) also has some good books on kitchen design.

I don't know your location or if there is something like a Cabinets-To-Go in your area but the one we went to had the ability to design our kitchen with a CAD type program on the spot and design the layout based on dimensions I brought in with me. We knew how we wanted the kitchen to look. Their plan was used to select and order the appropriate sized cabinets. This was the plan view with the cabinet sizes. They can make just about any size cabinet.

View attachment 32241

The information you need to supply is;
The dimensions of the room
Where the windows, sink(s) and appliances are going to be.
The software also produces a profile view of each wall that looks like this (below)...
View attachment 32242
While waiting for your cabinets to be built and delivered you need to make sure your plumbing is up to code, and electrical is where you want it. This is a good time to add outlets and wiring for under cabinet lighting to make it a modern kitchen.

Before:
(I had just started demo'ing the wall on the right side try this company kitchen remodel tacoma wa)

View attachment 32243

During demo: (This is where the kitchen sink was. There was a lot of water damage.) You can see the new 12gauge wire.
View attachment 32244

View attachment 32246

After:

View attachment 32245
thank you so much for your suggestion

Back