Kitchen sink drain, loose into wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drw158

Reaction score
Has anyone ever encountered this before? The waste drain pipe that goes into the wall is just loose inside the pipe that is behind the cabinet. I'll attach a photo.

If you don't know what I mean, basically the pvc pipe that goes into the waste pipe is small in diameter, so the pvc is able to move freely inside the waste pipe. There is no fitting, transition, nut, or anything.

The drain pipe is pvc, but the pipe that is inside the wall is old galvanized pipe. Probably the original 1930's pipe.

Should I be worried? We are installing a new sink soon. We have full access in the basement, and I can see that the old pipe is pretty short in length; it transitions into pvc in the basement.

I've heard that maybe there could be a vent problem or something, which is why it is open.

IMG_2174.jpg

IMG_2190.jpg

Last edited:
I would say that is a problem. Have you got access to the attic to see what kind of pipe is up there for a vent.
At the very least there should be an adapter from the pvc to the steel. Frodo should be along soon.

. you need to find out what is in the wall. and fix it, you have a bio hazard in the wall. not good.

look up in their, if you cant see what is in there

cut the back of the cabinet. 8x8 hole. so you can get to the pipe

if threads. screw an adapter. if a brok'n pipe, remove and replace

all depends on what you find in the wall

It looks like someone used a tail piece for the horizontal run after the trap. it also looks like there is a PVC fitting already threaded on to the metal pipe. If that is right, you should be able to make a good repair by changing the tail piece to regular pipe of the right size and gluing it in to the PVC adapter.

I don't think there is any pvc that is threaded into the pipe. The pvc that is directly touching the old pipe is loose inside of it. I'll update the post with a zoomed out photo.

Here is a video that shows what I mean: https://cloudup.com/c4h6udhg7Dr

Stage one. I got the wood cut. Do I need to cut out the drywall?

Sorry the photo got rotated

image.jpg

View of the pipe in the basement. Transitions to pvc. There has been some obvious water damage in the past, but I think it's leaking a tiny bit. I'm not sure if the vent connects to this pipe.

image.jpg

Stage two. I cut away the drywall. Unfortunately I think this is also the vent pipe that goes through the roof. As you can see, there is some pipe extending up as well as down.

Strange because there is a large window above the sink so I don't know how it's extending up to the roof.

image.jpg

Stage two. I cut away the drywall. Unfortunately I think this is also the vent pipe that goes through the roof. As you can see, there is some pipe extending up as well as down.

Strange because there is a large window above the sink so I don't know how it's extending up to the roof.

FYI- Vent Install

Vent- Rough-In Around Window Opening _1.jpg

Nope no odors.

Hm thanks for the diagram. Looks expensive to replace. At this rate it might be best just to replace the whole pipe. I think my laundry waste ties in there too...

The pipe is probably only rusted at the sink. Maybe I could just clean it up and make a proper connection.

that is an old lead joint.

remove the pvc pipe.

with a screw driver, chisel, hammer, what ever it takes

remove the lead and oakum from the hub

bathroom_layout_dims_door.jpg

then, go buy a 1 1/2 eztite gasket at your local plumbing supply, not home depot, plumbing supply house

th

insert the rubber...beat it in,
ok,,,i dont know the size of that cast hub, that you are peeling the lead out of
if its 2'' insert a 2'' gasket, then a 1 1/2'' pvc coupling, into the gasket
build from there

if its 1 1/2'' cast hub. get a 1 1/2 gasket. and shove a 6'' section of pvc into the gasket.
use plenty of soap to make it slick, and beat it in

Last edited:
Thank you Frodo! That is perfect.

Debating whether or not to call the plumber on this one. Looks like it will take a long time to chisel out the lead.

Latest posts

Back