Kitchen sink water supply and faucet rebuild

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

afjes_2016

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having problems finding the parts I need online at HomeDepot.com because I am not quite sure of the part names that I need along with the sizes etc.

What I need to do is replace my entire setup. My present kitchen sink faucet went south. This is a four hole sink setup. I guess what happened is that there must be a failure in the spout section itself. About 3 days ago I started getting very low water flow in the hot water. Next day no water flow in hot and the cold quit also. Only way I can use my sink is with the spray hose now.

I have wanted to replace the kitchen faucet so now is the time. Only problem, the ding-bat that lived in my home before me when he installed the faucet he made the connection to the ends of the faucet directly and soldiered the copper pipe directly to the connector. I can use my kitchen sink faucet wrench to remove the washer holding the kitchen faucet to the sink but no way to disconnect the pipe without cutting it. The pipe goes directly down thru the floor and into an elbow. There is no way to remove the faucet without cutting both water supply pipes (1/2" copper pipes).

Figuring now is the time to set it up correctly. I want to cut both hot and cold water about pipes about 1/2 up from the bottom of the cabinet. Then attach to valves (one for each hot and cold) with a sharkbite fitting (I would assume I could do this so I don't have to sweat joint the value) and then connect a water supply hose to go to each of the hot and cold down pipes on the kitchen faucet.

I found the kitchen faucet I want but have tried looking for the parts I need but not getting the proper results. The results I am getting I am not sure of the size fittings etc. Can someone please help me out.

I also want to get a new drain assembly as this one is old and I know I will end up breaking it trying to get in the cramped spot so I might as well spend the money for it and just replace the existing as I will need to disassembly the old to get in there to do the faucet job. I just want to replace the plastic drain pipe, not the drain in the sink itself. What type of drain pipe do I have to order. Mine presently have the parts that you unscrew with the plastic washers.

Thanks for your help

Angle stops are the valves you are looking for they do come in a straight valve, you want the 1/4 turn ball valves and compression fittings will be cheaper than shack bite and no torch need.
Then you will want 2 breaded hose supply lines to connect to the new faucet.
If the drain line set up is good now just take pictures and measure the pipe diameter. and get replacement the same.

so if I get two of these sets I will be good to go on that.

It does not seem that the links are working. Here is the url https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...t-Angle-Stop-Faucet-Connector-24657/301968950

Taking a picture of the drain setup won't do me any good ordering it online. I don't want to drive 25 miles each way just to get these with the price of gas. I need it and they have free shipping. So why pay for gas.

This is the kind of drain (trap) that is in there now, except this one shows draining thru a wall, mine is the floor. The way this guy did the set up I need two P Traps; don't ask. Anyway how the heck am I to know if I need 1 1/2 or 1 1/4", they are so close in measurement? I don't want to have to take it to the home depot. Any suggestions.

P trap URL https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Plastic-P-Trap-C9704B/205153793

Thanks Neal

I have a mini pipe cutter already; thanks though

What are you referring to "rigid"?

Also, kitchen sink drain is 1 1/2" - got it

oh, ok. "Rigid" is a Home Depot "Branded Name". One only knows who actually makes it though.

All of the material carried by the big boxes, depending upon the location, are available in metal, PVC and ABS, in either threaded or slip-joint.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Plumbing-Parts-Repair/N-5yc1vZbqkp/Ntk-semanticsearch/Ntt-kitchen+drains+and+drain+assemblies?NCNI-5

Some of the threaded faucet connectors are 3/8", so pay attention.

Rigid is not a home depot brand name, It's a tool vendor that has chosen home depot as their primary retailer.

I've been using Rigid tools long before home Depot was an imagination, actually, in the 1940's.

One thing to add to what others have said. Check the new faucet. These days, many don't require you to buy the braided hose supply lines seperately, since those lines are part of the faucet. I use Mown faucets and that is how they come.

ok, thanks everyone for your help

I guess I know what I have to buy now. Buying it is the easy part. Getting down into the cabinet with arthritis, DDD and Spinal Stanosis will be something else. I won't even be able to lay my legs out straight while under the cabinet as the wall opposite the cabinet is only a few feet away. Very small kitchen.

Wow, this has become so darn frustrating on home depot or Lowes or any other.

Finding a faucet with a high neck (I call it goose neck to fit large pots under) was not that bad. But I have a cabinet right above the sink. I only have a certain amount of height to work with. It said faucet height; did that refer to where the water exits or the top bend of the faucet; don't know.

Most of the parts I needed for the 1/4 turn straight (or angle) were not available for shipping only pickup. Also, could not tell with all the 1/2" this and OD 3/8" that yada yada yada or I could not tell by 1/4" this and 3/8" that if they would fit. Got too darn confusing and I can't be waiting to get the parts to find out something is not the right size.

I solved the problem: Went .35 miles from the house to my local hardware store. Picked out a nice goose neck faucet that I know will fit. I explained the issue; he handed me all the parts I needed and I paid and out the store I went. Probably cost me about $18 more for the parts but no frustration and i can put the faucet in tonight. I basically like to do business with the "mom and pop" stores to support my local economy. If we are talking a lot of money difference then that is something else.

Thanks for your suggestions and I learned some things also.

Appreciated!!

This is John with Schrader Plumbing. Something that I read about your post that no one said anything about that I noticed was you saying you need 2 p-traps. You do not want to do that at all it is called an s-trap which will cause your drain to suck the water out of the traps, and create a bad smell as nothing is blocking the gases from coming into your home. You want to put a 90 elbow on the stand pipe coming up through the floor, and then put a small piece of pipe into the other side of that 90 so that you can the install your p-trap on that creating a proper p-trap system. Please let me know if there are any questions. Thank you
I think he was talking about places that require side by side traps for a double sink. We run both sinks into one trap here.

Latest posts

Back