Light gas range manually first time after outage?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SidecarBob

Retired & too busy to go back to work
Reaction score
I was talking to someone about the power outages after last week's ice storm and they mentioned that their gas range (both the oven and the burners) always refuses to light the first time after the power comes back on until they use a barbecue lighter to light each one once but after that the electric igniters work every time until the power goes out again. Apparently it has always done that and they were told to do that by the repair guy that came the first time it wouldn't self light.

I've never had a gas range but it doesn't sound normal to me. What do you guys think?

I've never run into that. Occasionally the burners won't light but the cause is usually the burner assembly needs to be repositioned.

Never heard of that!!?? Unless the breaker is tripped the igniters should work once power is restored. On electronic ignition ranges during an outage, you can self light the rangetop burners but not the oven. The oven has a 100% safety control.

Latest posts

Back