Looking at a new truck

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
So I am looking at a new pickup. I want something that can tow my backhoe when needed so it must tow 24k. With that in mind the only truck out there capable is the 2015 or 2016 Ram 3500 cummins dually.

I found two in Colorado that I am putting offers on tomorrow. I was looking into having one built local to me but the dealer does not seem to want to work with me. I guess we will see tomorrow.

My local dealer just got back to me about 30 seconds ago. There is one in california but it is 5k more than I want to pay but has some nice options. Might just have one built.

What is wrong with using the dump truck?

What is wrong with using the dump truck?

I'll let you drive it for a day and you tell me.

Really I need a new work truck and I might as well get everything I need in a truck.

You got a point there buddy.

Them 550's are a beast.

Cummins 3500 tows more. Even the ram 4500 tows less. Those bigger ones just have a lot more payload.

So I have been looking at the ram and the f450. Both nice trucks. I know the owner of a ford dealer so I am going to talk to him today. I almost pulled the trigger on a new dodge last night but they are a few grand more than I want to pay. Let's see if making them sit on it changed their mind.

Might be flying up north on Saturday to pick up a new Ram 3500. Found a dealer with a left over 2015 with all the options I wanted and 13k less than any other dealer so far.

My local dealer was not interested in selling a truck. They took 2k off msrp and then tried to tell me they were losing money on the deal. I have been working about five dealers on a truck.

I give two thumbs up to Autonation Dodge in Denver CO, their salesman David Kondiola went way out his way to get me the info I needed with absolutely no pressure. He was the one that found me this truck in Northern CA. If anyone is ever looking for a new Dodge I would recommend him over any other.

To me dealing with car salesman is like dealing with a compulsive liar, you can never trust their word.

Good luck Chris. Most of the reason I am not looking for a new ride is because I also don't want to deal with those salesman. It should not have to be that hard to buy something without getting ripped off.

Buying a car is one of the worst things someone has to do. In order to not get ripped off in one way or another you need to spend weeks researching and then talk to so many vultures and get 50 phone calls a day from them even after you tell them no thanks. It's a pain.

So I made the deal on the truck up north, I fly up tomorrow morning do the paperwork and drive it home. I will get some pics of it up tomorrow if I'm lucky.

Are they taking the cost of flying up there out of their commission?

Pretty sure they are losing money on this deal. It's been on their lot for a year. They just want to see it gone.

I have kind of decided to take a different tack on buying a vehicle. I decide what I want, I research the cost and decide what I am willing to pay. then I find the vehicle I want. if the dealership will give me the price I am willing to pay I buy it. I don't try to get the best deal I can. I figure the dealership has to make a decent profit off the vehicle. Once I buy the vehicle I am going to expect them to take care of any warranty and maintenance issues that come up, so I want them to remember me as a good customer. I don't want to get ripped off and I don't want to regret my decision after so I decide what is a good deal before I go in. that way I figure everyone is happy. I also return to the people who treat me right. I have found 2 pretty good dealerships local to me that have treated me right so far, so I figure I am way ahead of the curve. I don't know. the big thing to me I think is my attitude. if I think I got the deal I wanted then I am happy. like on my 2006 f250 I looked all over for one like it. I wanted a lariat, blue diesel with towing package. with low mileage. I wanted one no older than 2006. this was in 2008. I looked all over autotrader, and all the local car lots until one finally showed up right here in town. the best deal I could find was in minnesota it was 37,000 for a vehicle that had 25000 miles. this one had 19000 I asked them what there best price was. they said 35000. I told them if they would give me the 200,000 mile powertrain warranty, and put a new plastic bedliner and tonneau on it I would pay that price. they agreed. then without me asking they put new floormats in it and new drivers seat upholstery. afterwards I had a few small issues come up and they fixed them for me with no charge. yeah I could have talked them down a bit I am sure but I got the truck I wanted at a price I thought was fair and they treated me very well after the sale.

I do similar. I don't expect them to lose money on a deal. I just don't want to be ripped off. Here in California they like to take advantage of people. I like to see the average of several dealers and then that is my go to point. I got lucky this time and we're giving this truck away. It was last years model and had been sitting on the lot for eight months. They just wanted the real estate back. Locally here they like to play games. Always have.

I do similar. I don't expect them to lose money on a deal. I just don't want to be ripped off. Here in California they like to take advantage of people. I like to see the average of several dealers and then that is my go to point. I got lucky this time and we're giving this truck away. It was last years model and had been sitting on the lot for eight months. They just wanted the real estate back. Locally here they like to play games. Always have.

well I am certainly not one to turn down a good deal either lol looks like a nice truck congrats

Latest posts

Back