Looking for the cause of a water leak

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingd18

Reaction score
I wasn't sure if this should go in Roofing or Walls & Ceilings, but I've had a leak that just started in the back room of my house that used to be an enclosed porch. Is this a roofing issue? Any idea where a contractor would start in terms of determining how to repair this leak? Trying to understand where the problem might be and how extensive of a repair this will be. Thanks for any opinions!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Video 2023-11-03 at 11.19.15 AM.mp4
    24 MB
A great video. I did see two indented shingles that are suspect, and what I would remove and replace right away. Actually, that first course along with the starter shingle under it would be my first project. Just understand that water always flows downward, through the path of least resistance. I'd like to see the flashing around and below that upper set of windows as well to see if water is penetrating and flowing downward to the ceiling down below.

Does it leak only when it rains and every time it rains? If so, you could use a garden hose near that first row of shingles and see if that starts the leak up. If it does, then the problem is definitely there. If it doesn't, then start looking farther up toward that upper window to see if there's a leak up there running down and not appearing inside until it gets to the wall.

Back