Loose tub spout/pipe.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syllinx

Reaction score
I want to slide on a new spout but the pipe moves back into the wall and I only have about 5 inches of space to try and slide something into the wall before a tile is replaced. I read somewhere that there was a piece of metal you can buy that grips the pipe and keeps it coming sliding back into the wall after the tile is replaced. Any ideas would be nice. Will try to have a picture later.

Interesting, since the typical faucet/tub spout connections are rigid.

Were it I, I would open the wall behind the faucet to make sure that the installation is firmly in place.

I want to slide on a new spout but the pipe moves back into the wall and I only have about 5 inches of space to try and slide something into the wall before a tile is replaced. I read somewhere that there was a piece of metal you can buy that grips the pipe and keeps it coming sliding back into the wall after the tile is replaced. Any ideas would be nice. Will try to have a picture later.
I'm tempted to do it the easy way I just thought of but I'm sure it will bite me later on. Completely fill wall with grocery bags I have to where the pipe can't move backwards. Or just install a 2x4 in there somehow.

Interesting, since the typical faucet/tub spout connections are rigid.

Were it I, I would open the wall behind the faucet to make sure that the installation is firmly in place.
Our kitchen cabinets are right behind it. I would have to remove the lazy susan under cabinet etc. I may have to try what you mentioned. Best part is that if I mess up the wall is that nobody would see it lol. We are low income right now so I can't pay anybody to remove the sharkbite etc. The house was foreclosed on and nothing was finished.

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
In this instance, I'd consider opening the shower side of the faucet wall, inset some blocking, strap the tube spout and patch the wall.

More time and skill tasting but easier that crawling inside a cabinet.

In this instance, I'd consider opening the shower side of the faucet wall, inset some blocking, strap the tube spout and patch the wall.

More time and skill tasting but easier that crawling inside a cabinet.
Thanks. I will have to try it. I just tried one of those inflatable air wedges and it might work but it puts pressure on everything so not a good idea.

Back