Lowe's Shipping Returns/Used Products as New Products?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
I bought a EGO blower from Lowe's online and they shipped me what seems like a return. Re-packaged with terrible tape job. Had use marks on the unit and battery. Strap was missing. Tried out the blower and it's defective, seems like someone returned it and then just shipped it on to me after getting it back.

I do so much business with Lowe's and when I brought it to their attention they were pretty much like well your **** out of luck, print out a return label, truck it to drop off, do all that work and then we can ship a "new" one to you.

Frustrating to say the least.

Last edited:
I've also noticed similar tactics for "pick at the store". they seem to pick the worst possible product, dented, scratched, rusted etc.

And that is the reason I won't shop at Lowes. Home Depot will take anything back, either give you money or grab a new one if they got it.

I also am not happy with Lowes anymore, they frequently don't answer the store phone, and buying online they fail to have all the orders ready to pick up at the same time resulting in a lot of trips to the store, being 25 miles away that adds up both ways in fuel costs they have become lazy in their customer satisfaction and you can't even call and complain to a manager.

Yes, I have heard of Lowes' return policy before. There are quite a few stories of things that have been returned that are sold as new. I prefer to shop at Home Depot for this purpose alone. I've heard of major appliances being returned and sold as new. When my son bought a refrigerator there ($500 discount) I asked if it had been purchase before and returned and it was not so we bought it. I would not have otherwise. It had 2 tiny dents in it that we had to ask the salesman what the blemish was and saved $500 over what he was going to pay for the same frig at Home Depot.

And the best of all, Home Depot will always price match Lowes items if they are the same item number.

I bought a EGO blower from Lowe's online and they shipped me what seems like a return. Re-packaged with terrible tape job. Had use marks on the unit and battery. Strap was missing. Tried out the blower and it's defective, seems like someone returned it and then just shipped it on to me after getting it back.

I do so much business with Lowe's and when I brought it to their attention they were pretty much like well your **** out of luck, print out a return label, truck it to drop off, do all that work and then we can ship a "new" one to you.

Frustrating to say the least.
I have never had a return issue with Lowe's. I experience far better in store service at Lowe's than at HD. But, HD tends to have a better selection of lumber, fasteners, electrical components and plumbing supplies. So, I'm a dual shopper.

Some of you remember the horrific experience I had with a Cub Cadet electric mower last year. It took 2 months to get it, the thing was about 80 percent functional, and the charger ended up putting off a burning tire smell, impossible to charge it in the garage... This was 4 months in, all told I would say... Home Depot took it back, 100% refund...

I tried to get a Husqvarna Gas mower this year from Lowes, ordered it, and waited 2 months... Because I can't mow until Mid May at the earliest, this is no big deal... They called me and said someone cut all the battery cables from the 7 mowers they had, so they had to order me another one / repair one... Ok, still have about a Month, no problem... About 3 weeks into that, I call them and the Garden rep told me the 7 were still sitting there without any change... They didn't ship them to wherever for repair. TWO MANAGERS, I was told, were supposed to ship them out and call me.

I cancelled, bought a Toro from HD, and although it took a while to get, they expedited it...

To get to the OP's original complaint, I ordered a Mulch kit for a previous John Deere mower from Lowes, and the box was ripped, no hardware... I had bolts and figured I would make it work. Got it on my Brother's lift, and it's the wrong model, absolutely didn't line up. Can't return it, because it's FROM John Deere... I still have it, completely forgot about it since I sold the mower...

I'll never buy anything I can't get my hands on in the store from Lowe's again.

Another difference is quality. I ordered 2 of the biggest Husky tool chests that HD had, and they arrived perfect. Built like Tanks. Both are at my Brother's, can't just bring one here for me because I need a hoist lift... Tank. I had compared the competition that Lowe's had, Kobalt that is no longer available, and they were built like Yugo's.

You can go to Lowe's and look at whatever Kobalt they have, then go to HD and check out the Husky's to see what I mean...

NOW... To the fun part... The CEO of Lowe's, Marvin Ellison used to be a Board member / exec at HD...

Lowe's Board hired him as CEO because they are Idiots. He dropped most of the Military discount, and dropped the extended warranties for appliances from 5 years to 2 or 3 years. HD still offers 5 yr. warranties.

I think he's still on the payroll of HD, just trying to kill off Lowes... It would make sense to try because the value of HD is 2.6 times what Lowe's is.

Latest posts

Back