Main doors not closing tight enough

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timrc

Reaction score
Hi,

My main doors no longer close fully.
The deadbolt hits the strike plate edge unless I pull/push them when locking.
This also means that an electric lock I have, can't lock automatically, unless I pull the doors just a little bit, rendering it useless 🤷🙂

Can I adjust hinges somehow, or replace the rubber seal with a newer, thinner one?

Best,
Tim

I'd also check the reveal around the entire perimeter of the door, between the jamb and the door. If one side of the reveal is less or more, the door itself may have to be re-adjusted. I have a Milgard patio door with adjustable hinges that get knocked out of balance pretty easily. Every 6 months, I need to do a fine adjustment to make sure the striker place is centered correctly.

A picture showing the type of door may help us tremendously.

I'd also check the reveal around the entire perimeter of the door, between the jamb and the door. If one side of the reveal is less or more, the door itself may have to be re-adjusted. I have a Milgard patio door with adjustable hinges that get knocked out of balance pretty easily. Every 6 months, I need to do a fine adjustment to make sure the striker place is centered correctly.

A picture showing the type of door may help us tremendously.

It's just a regular main door.

Here's, pictures of hinges and the striker.

Attachments

• PXL_20240422_191413891.jpg
    PXL_20240422_191413891.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240422_191425384.jpg
    PXL_20240422_191425384.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240422_191417915.jpg
    PXL_20240422_191417915.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
To me, it looks like your hinge plates are bent. That is one of the primary causes of a "sagging" door, and why the striker isn't lining up. Pull one hinge plate (both sides), go to a big box store, find the exact replacement, and install the new ones.Screenshot_20240422_170119_Chrome.jpg

While I noticed the hinge, appearing to, having been improperly let into the jam, I discounted it as it's the middle hinge, of a three hinge system, which is unlikely to cause you having to push/pull the door, against the weather strip, so the locks will align with the strikes.

So, before you run out and by a new 4" hinge, remove the hinge pin, and swing the door, to ascertain, if you need to make a trip.

Latest posts

Back