Metal Stairs inside are unsafe

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 59671

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems there a lot of talented and helpful people on this board. My issue is more about safety and usability.

My home has circular metal stairs as depicted in the photos. We are at an age where safety is becoming more of an issue. Also, large and small dogs use the stairs. (not sure who designed the home but there is zero access or exit without steps/stairs) The dogs nails slip on the metal and the large dogs have more trouble using them. I considered safety tape on the cap so the puppies could at least see the steps separately but it would be a hard sell for the wife due to appearance and due to the uneven surface it may not be feasible.

I am looking for suggestions to make the stairs safer and more user friendly. Thank you in advance for any suggestions- large or small.

Attachments

• s.jpg
    s.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 15
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 15
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 13
Welcome.
There are any # of solutions, from the sublime, to the ridiculous, in price, and one of these seems as an effective and easily replaceable, suggestion; Anti-Slip Tape | Seton

Just a rambling thought · · · maybe pick up a single peel-and-stick industrial berber carpet tile just to see if it would mold to the textured surface.

thank you. This does seem like an immediate and easy option. Do you know if this will lay smoothly with the raised pattern in the steps?

I'd think that you would have to tool around them, with something like a spline tool.

They make "stair tread pads", and they are actually quite common. But probably all are rectangular. You would to find floor padding material in sheet form, cut it and perhaps bond with contact cement.

I wonder if the open risers are contributing to the lack of confidence in use of the stairs ? One possibility would be to add risers to close off the open area. Risers could be bolted to the vertical flange of the step. You might have to get inventive on the material --- more steel might look too industrial, wood might look out of place. If the gap between stair treads is more than 4", I am not sure if what you have is code compliant anyways.

I would start with an anti-slip paint. There are some very good ones that when applied to the dimple plate stair treads would provide great footing.

I would caution on closing in the risers as the inside tread is narrow and when climbing the stairs your foot needs to go slightly under the stair above.

This type of stair should never be designed as the only set of stairs in a home. These are a designer feature and someplace else there should be a regular straight set of stairs for moving furniture and for those that can’t climb spiral stairs.

They make "stair tread pads", and they are actually quite common. But probably all are rectangular. You would to find floor padding material in sheet form, cut it and perhaps bond with contact cement.

I wonder if the open risers are contributing to the lack of confidence in use of the stairs ? One possibility would be to add risers to close off the open area. Risers could be bolted to the vertical flange of the step. You might have to get inventive on the material --- more steel might look too industrial, wood might look out of place. If the gap between stair treads is more than 4", I am not sure if what you have is code compliant anyways.
Apparently not up to code. it is 7.5" from top of step to next step.

Latest posts

Back