Microwave switch replacement question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

affan habib

Reaction score
I have a GE JVM6175EK1ES over the range microwave. A few days ago, it was running when the door was open. Now the light is on but it stops running at all. I think I need to replace the switch. I wonder is that pretty easy to do myself? I am pretty novice. Do I need to worry about the capacitor like discharging it?

Thanks.

Go to repairclinic.com with your model number and possibly serial number. You can look for the part and they may have a video on changing out the door switch. All of them are pretty much the same so even if the video isn't for your specific model you'll get a good idea of what's involved. I've replaced a few parts on microwaves and if you're handy it isn't terribly hard.

Thanks. I didn't find my model there. I have seen videos online for other models. My concern is if I need to worried about capacitor as I am hearing it has high voltage. Any suggestion?

Thanks sgsin.

I've dissembled a couple of microwaves and the capacitor wasn't near the door switch so it was pretty easy to avoid. Repair Clinic is my go to place for appliance parts. Try just doing a general Google Search on the model number and parts and see what comes up.

I was under impression microwaves had dual door switches for safety reasons...

Glad your switch is repaired. For future reference, you cannot get shocked from the door switch wires if you unplug your unit. If you are mucking about near the capacitor, or with its wires, drain it with a screwdriver shorted across the leads. BTW, before paying $15-30 dollars from a parts warehouse, with a bit of searching you can always cross over your micro-switch from an electronics supply for 1/10th the cost. They are not proprietary parts.

Back