Mixing Valve

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They already do!
And in some places that mixing valve is a code requirement but hey...

How naive I am. I should have known. People have won lawsuits for practically every other stupid action, why not scalding in their own bathtub.

What would this world be like if we didn't have these wonderful Lawyers to protect us from ourselves?

I eliminated the mixing valve. Yeah.
Wouldn't recommend doing this if you have any potential of being sued.
Otherwise this is the best choice you can make for your house.
The valve was two years old and caked in sulphur and I mean completely useless. This is the worst design ever and I wish when people install hot water tanks they give you an option to opted out.

Plus it is 10 dollars to eliminate the valve rather then 150$ to buy a new one.

The case of Treon Moorer deserves some comment, since it's anything BUT typical.

Treon Moorer was born with a medical condition that causes her to have frequent seizures. She apparantly turned on the shower in her apartment, but turned on the hot water faucet only. Several minutes later, she either tested the water temperature or got into the shower without testing it, and had a seizure as a result of being hit by the hot water. However, when she had the seizure, she fell INTO the shower rather than onto the floor outside the shower and was further scalded by the hot water.

So, like every accident, there was no ONE single cause. Rather, you have to have a confluence of contributing factors that lead to the final outcome. First off, most people don't have seizures that render them helpless to get out of a dangerous situation. Secondly, most people will test the shower water temperature with their hand in advance to ensure they don't get burned by water who's temperature is unknown. And, finally, in this case, the woman fell into the shower rather than anywhere else on the floor.

In my case, I keep my water temperature at 130 degrees simply because if someone does scald themselves in my building, they're going to blame me for the water being too hot rather than blame themselves for not being careful. If I were living in my own house, I wouldn't have any qualms about setting the water temperature to 135 or 140. After all, we expose ourselves to much higher temperatures than that every time we boil, or cook or deep fry something, and yet most of us manage to survive our kitchens. Also, it's real easy to get food hotter than 140 degrees in a microwave, and the worst that normally happens is a burnt tongue.

I see this as just another example of litigation with a profit motive in mind.

I see this as just another example of litigation with a profit motive in mind.

In my opinion that's what all these lawsuits are about. Because you can't fix "Stupid".

I don't think it's simple stupidity. Or, at least it wasn't in the case Redwood cited. The girl did have a seizure and did fall into the shower and the hot water did spray on her causing skin damage to much of her body. That wasn't something that a half minute's worth of thinking would have avoided.

I think it's the fact that the ambulance chasers, once they catch wind of a story like this, will realize that their fee is a percentage of the judgement, and so they do all they can to convince the person to sue, and to sue for as much as possible, not just for costs incurred as a result of the incident. Any lawyer will kill for a case like this if he figues his fee will be 10 percent of the judgement, and he guestimates the judgement to be in the 6 figure range.

The problem is that the amount and degree of litigation (especially in the USA) has gotten to the point where judges are tossing cases out because they believe they're without merit. One perfect example was a case where someone sued a company because the company failed to warn him that he could hurt himself if he used their product incorrectly. The guy didn't use the product incorrectly, and he didn't hurt himself, but still felt that it was appropriate to sue on the basis that the company didn't warn him that he might have hurt himself had he been careless.

Believe it or not, there are NO HANDRAILS on the stair cases in the castles of Europe. Back then, if you were to climb a flight of stairs while drunk, and fell down and broke your arm, then it was your own doing, and no one owed you anything for hurting yourself. Nowadays, it seems that people expect everyone else has the obligation to keep them safe. I disagree. Each individual has the obligation to watch out for their own safety. Once people start to take that idea seriously, there won't be nearly as many injuries... ...or lawsuits.

Your preaching to the choir. I fully agree with what you said.

I'm not making fun of anyone with a disability either. Far from it, but people with disabilities do have to be more careful with certain things. Just like we shouldn't be as drunk as we were when we fell off the stairs. Being drunk is self inflicted, but it's still a disability when you get that way.

Yep I agree Nestor but in my position its a CYA thing so thats all folks...

Back