Multiple (4) 12/2 UF wires in 2-gang PVC box, need help to re-locate GFCI and freeup space for 3 wire runs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anil Cheerla

Reaction score
We are having issues with the GFCI outlet box that was installed as part of a new 20A circuit for lighting the underdeck. I have attached the photos that give a better picture than the explanation provided below.

The weatherproof 2-gang outlet box (pic 1) is full and it is accommodating a WR GFCI with four 12/2 wire runs inside. One run is for incoming power to GFCI and the other three are spliced inside and pigtailed to supply power to other runs. The other outlet box below (pic 2) has the has a switch and receptacle powered by the wire run from above to operate the under-deck lights.

You will notice 3 PVC pipes and another below for the 12/2 runs. Wires inside are in a clutter, squeezed in and the GFCI is tripping due to ground wires touching other wires. GFCI keeps tripping often and I decided to disconnect the power to this box from the main panel. I am now looking for alternatives to rearrange this box and reduce the clutter.

I am planning to separate the GFCI outlet from the box, relocate it to a new 1-gang PVC box above the current 2-gang box and repurpose the 2-gang box to locate the 3 incoming spliced wires and add a 20A receptable.

Is there a better way to reconnect the wire runs and GFCI? Can anyone recommend a better solution to this problem? This work was done by a contractor who is no longer available. Any help is very much appreciated.

Attachments

• BoxWithGFCI_3OutgoingWires2.jpg
    BoxWithGFCI_3OutgoingWires2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1
  • BoxWithGFCI_3OutgoingWires1.jpg
    BoxWithGFCI_3OutgoingWires1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
What's with all of the electrical tape on the wires? Wow!!
If the GFCI in that upper jbox is wired "load" to the GFCI in the bottom box that may be causing your tripping. Sometimes GFCIs fight each other.
If this is the case wire the lower gFCI from the upper GFCI on the "line" side. Get rid of all of that tape (no need). Using tape especially on outside/damp connections will keep moisture in that connection far longer and won't allow it to dry which may cause a lot of your tripping. When you tuck the gFCIs in just be sure the ground wire does not touch the hot or neutral.

Back