Need to replace monorail drawer glides on heavy drawers

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Reaction score
So, I never really knew what sort of system my father used for the drawer glides when he built the kitchen cabinets. I had assumed they just slid over a piece of wood or something but didn't think too much of it.
Yesterday I was trying to get a drawer unstuck because something in it was sticking up. Drawer wouldn't open enough for me to even get a finger in to move the object. So I had to take the drawer above it out. Unfortunately, because I didn't know what the mounting system was, when I removed it, I ended up damaging the aged brittle track and the wheel on the back of the drawer bent a bit.

I'll have to find or take a picture of the track, but the wheel on the back of the drawer looked something like this:
1692335871051.png
The track appeared to start out vertical with a spot where the wheel would lock in and then looks like it was sort of flat beyond that point. It broke off from where it was attached at the back of the cabinet. So the back of the drawer drops into the drawer below. When I was trying to angle it back in, it broke the track above as well. I really had to fight to get the drawer back in so I'm not going to pull it back out anytime soon. That thing was heavy! More than 20lbs I'm sure.

I really don't like the rail system and have more than one drawer that needs to have tracks replaced. I may replace the tracks on all of the drawers in the U-shape area-- or at least on the heavier/larger drawers.

I want something that can support more weight but allow full extension. Also going to need to be able to squeeze in through the openings for the drawers on the face of the cabinets to reach back and attach the rails somehow. I don't think there is enough clearance on the sides to do side mount drawer glides. The glides will need to hold at least 50lbs from my estimate.

I'm thinking of getting the wooden rail things that are sort of like T shaped and have a plastic bracket that fits over, but I'm not sure how that would work. I'll try to get some measurements and pictures later, but for now, does anyone have suggestions?

Thank you, Snoonyb. I'm seriously considering a different type-- maybe a wooden track because the metal ones twist and break. I need to measure the drawer to find out if that is long enough. It is a contender though.
I wonder if something like this would work or if it would be worse.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XKXVTFS/

Actually, the simple solution would be to just replace the, "shoe" that mounts to the back wall of the cabinet, for each drawer glide, which is usually the point that failure occurs, that and/or that pictured in your, "OP".

When considering those wood glides, you'll need to first determine if there is room in the drawer pocket, height wise, for them to be installed, or if you'll need to remake the drawer box, and the second is the access to the back of the cabinet, and a rail to attach to and the 3rd is the periodic application of a lubricant, I use simple bar soap, that I use on double-hung wood windows.

The wood glides can be cut to length.

Thanks. The rail didn't just come detached from the back. It broke off from the part that attached it to the back. And then in a bit of anger, I ripped the rest of it off the front (breaking it at that point too) because I wanted to get the drawer back in and it was preventing it from going in.

Maybe a sturdier metal rail system might work better, but I still need to muster up the energy to pull that heavy drawer out again.

Back