New Disposal Installation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkirby65

Reaction score
Hi all,

My kitchen disposal just quit, so I am planning to buy a new one at Sears (3/4 hp Kenmoore). Sears will install it for $120. For that amount, is it worthwhile doing it myself? I would rate myself average or slighly above average on the "handy scale"--- I've installed a ceramic tile floor in my kitchen, engineered wood floors in my basement, a couple of bathroom sinks/cabinets, and ceiling fans. How difficult is a disposal to install? I know this a judgement call, but opinions are very welcome!

Jim

Sounds like free installation to me.
Have you gone sears.com and taken a look at the cost of a 3/4hp?

I would install it your self, if you have done sinks before this really isn't much different than a regular sink drain. Good luck
Justin

Thanks! I wasn't clear--- the installation itself is $120, and the disposal itself is on sale for $99. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Jim

Since you are doing a replacement, you basically have the layout in front of you. I would do it myself for $120. Just follow the instructions and you should have no problems.

Oh, I misunderstood your post. I even thought to myself, darn, at that price why did I bother replacing mine, myself.

Yea, $120 is a little steep for less than 30mins. of work.

If your lucky, the body size is the same and all the pipes, hoses & wires will be in alignment or length.

If you want to cheat, don't bother changing out the flange ring that is attached to the sink pan. Just undo the drain pipe, dishwasher drain (if applicable) and electrical. Remove the old, reverse procedure with the new.

Tip #1:
The GD should be on it's own breaker - turn the power off before you start even though it is controlled via light switch.

Tip #2:
If your dishwasher drains through the GD, then don't forget the remove the plug inside the fitting on the new GD.

Back