Newbie needs help with concrete/stucco repair

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The biggest confidence booster with DIY you just hit upon in your last post. Don’t fear messing it up if worst comes to worst you can chop it all out and try again. The old saying “paralysis by analyses” is often true.

Now for my tip. Around here gas stations have gift cards that get you five cents off per gallon they look like a credit card and any used gift card will work. When I go pump my gas these plastic cards are littering the top of the pumps and most time I grab half a dozen of them and throw them in a box at home. They have a lot of uses as shims etc and they also work great for spreading bondo and wood putty etc. and I could see using one for troweling this DAP on. The nice part is no clean up just toss them out. And they are FREE.

The biggest confidence booster with DIY you just hit upon in your last post. Don’t fear messing it up if worst comes to worst you can chop it all out and try again. The old saying “paralysis by analyses” is often true.

Now for my tip. Around here gas stations have gift cards that get you five cents off per gallon they look like a credit card and any used gift card will work. When I go pump my gas these plastic cards are littering the top of the pumps and most time I grab half a dozen of them and throw them in a box at home. They have a lot of uses as shims etc and they also work great for spreading bondo and wood putty etc. and I could see using one for troweling this DAP on. The nice part is no clean up just toss them out. And they are FREE.

so true about paralysis by analysis...not always, but often enough, a small job can be redone if necessary without a lot of problems, and in the act of trying, we learn new skills. GREAT tip about the gift cards and how they can be used as shims or mini-trowels to smooth out a surface, plus NO CLEAN UP! awesome suggestion, I will keep it mind for future DIY jobs!

Experience isn't getting right the first time or everytime. Anything worth learning is going to cost something. The trick is to put experience of past mistakes to good use. Learnig from others mistakes is almost as good as learning from your own, especially if his mistake killed or maimed him.
There is a DYI motto in there somewhere.

Back