Noisy roof?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chris

Just moved into the new house and the roof/ceiling makes a hole lot of noise at night.

It sounds like some is walking across the roof for a few seconds and then stops. It's loud enough to wake up both my wife and I. The roof is made up from 4x8 beams 3' on center with T&G and clay tile on top of that.

At first I thought it was a hot cold thing but even now at 5am it is still creaking.

I have been here two nights now and both nights it has done this.

Yes. It has been starting as far as I can tell about 9:30 pm.

It really could be during the day too but I haven't noticed it. I will have the wife listen today for it.

Take a ladder and look up the roof from the fascia towards the peak and see if you notice and deflection of the tile. Do this in the morning and also late in the evening.

Will have to do this tomorrow, today I am leaving for work before the sun comes up.

What you are going to look for is loose decking. You might also, carefully walk the area where you notice the noise and see if it has any movement. Have your wife inside and see if she hears any noise while you move about the area. In case you don't know, walk on the bottom edge of the tile.

When you replace it, carefully take them off and stack them on pallets, there is a market for reclaimed roof tile.

Still noisy. Doesn't make a peep during the day. Makes noise from sun down to sun up. Sounds like a person running across the roof.

Sounds like an earthquake, starts out with a creek and then sounds like every board on the roof creeks from one side of the house to the other.

Tomorrow I will try and take a look in the morning and evening and see if there is any difference.

It's done it while I was outside and there is nothing running up there.

Ghosts?

Isn't that the infamous Tate / Labianca mansion that Manson loved so dear? BTW, did they disclose any bad things happening inside that house in the past?

No. I bought it off the original owner who built it, I am meeting with him today to ask a few questions.

Hmmmm...You're in SoCal, isn't that where they filmed Poltergeist? They're here!!!!

It got so noisy last night I thought there was a Volkswagen driving around up there.

It seems to be mainly in the master bedroom area. Starts at the exterior wall and quickly moves towards the center of the house.

Back