Noisy stairs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helki

Reaction score
We have A beautiful staircase but dispite being max 16 years old it is noisy as nothing els! I tried finding fixes but non of them helps as we have a curved staircase with floating steps and most fixes are for standard straight solid stairs.

It got way worse when we had to lift it to apply new flooring underneath ( from that horrible yellow wood type to beautiful ashed pesto wood floors )

What can I do to minimise the sound?
Also does anyone know how to fix creaky floors? The upstairs has 4 major areas with lots of creaking,makes it impossible to go down for a glass of water without waking the whole house

Perhaps some pictures of the stairs.
What are the floors. hardwood, carpet or?
It's 3 am right now and I can't go down to take a photo. But I'll post one as soon as it's morning.
It's as far as I know hardwood with those half circle stick on carpets.

Perhaps some pictures of the stairs.
What are the floors. hardwood, carpet or?

This is the same type of stairs but not an exact match. Ours as far as I remember also has a small piece of wood running along the length about and inch wide on both sides. Which is screwed under each step. But I can be mistaking my apartment and this house.

Attachments

• Insp105_ovrebergetter88.jpg
    Insp105_ovrebergetter88.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 16
Ours also has handle bars on the left side and on the right it goes over to floating handle bars on the walls. Not sure if it matters. But I need to get this fixed.

Ours also has handle bars on the left side and on the right it goes over to floating handle bars on the walls. Not sure if it matters. But I need to get this fixed.
We will need pictures of yours and close ups if you can see how things are put together like screws which might be covered with plugs or whatever.

We will need pictures of yours and close ups if you can see how things are put together like screws which might be covered with plugs or whatever.
#1 the whole stairs
#2 under neith. The extra smaller piece under is screwed in with 2 of the ones in photo #4
#3 that is the second and only other type of screw in the stairs.
#4 only used on the mentioned above.
#5 the stairs in the corner are actually resting on the main beam. Unlike
#6 were the stairs are hold in by one screw per step. ( is this the problem? ) seen on
#7 .

Attachments

• 20180907_143326.jpg
    20180907_143326.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20180907_143334.jpg
    20180907_143334.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180907_143507.jpg
    20180907_143507.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180907_143517.jpg
    20180907_143517.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180907_143543.jpg
    20180907_143543.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180907_143545.jpg
    20180907_143545.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20180907_143552.jpg
    20180907_143552.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 11
#1 the whole stairs
#2 under neith. The extra smaller piece under is screwed in with 2 of the ones in photo #4
#3 that is the second and only other type of screw in the stairs.
#4 only used on the mentioned above.
#5 the stairs in the corner are actually resting on the main beam. Unlike
#6 were the stairs are hold in by one screw per step. ( is this the problem? ) seen on
#7 .
Are they wood or metal?

All the screws are metal.
I assume Neal meant are the stairs wood or metal. Can you determine where the noise is coming from? Normally noise comes from wood rubbing on wood or wood rubbing on the fasteners. Is the noise coming from the piece of wood screwed to the front of the steps or from the stringers on the side of the steps? Loose screws, in either case, could be the culprit.

I assume Neal meant are the stairs wood or metal. Can you determine where the noise is coming from? Normally noise comes from wood rubbing on wood or wood rubbing on the fasteners. Is the noise coming from the piece of wood screwed to the front of the steps or from the stringers on the side of the steps? Loose screws, in either case, could be the culprit.
The far end is against the wall.

I honestly have no idea. The creak comes either from the sides or between the stairs and the extra piece under. I have horrible location hearing so I can say for certain.

The far end is against the wall.

The treads are mounted in a stringer;
20180907_143334.jpg

The 1X on the bottom of the treads, looks like a stiffener. Have the heaviest person walk the stairs and identify the source of the noise emission.

The treads are mounted in a stringer;
20180907_143334.jpg

The 1X on the bottom of the treads, looks like a stiffener. Have the heaviest person walk the stairs and identify the source of the noise emission.
I'll ask my boyfriend when he is here tomorrow.

It's a participation sport, 1 walks and steps or rocks and the other listens under the stairs.

Latest posts

Back