Oops

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDizzle

Reaction score
I accidentally used too much Muratic Acid to etch the garage floor. I neutralized the floor with baking soda but it still powders when swept.

What should I do? What about trying to power wash it? Think that might do the trick?

I would try to power wash it if I were you. I'm noty positive, but it may do the trick.

Did you pour 100% acid on the floor???

How do you know (or think) you used too much??

Is the 'powder' EVERYWHERE or just in Isolated spots???

IF you take a wire brush to the spot can you get down to SOLID concrete??
:confused:

Well, I think I used too much because there is alot of power. It's in isolated spots but there are millions of spots! If I take a wire brush to the spots, I can get to solid concrete. The middle of the spots are deeper than the sides of the spots.

What was your Goal for Acid washing the floor?

Were you just trying to 'clean' it?

Were you 'preping' it for a coating?

There are some 'liquid' fill products out there that will fill ALL those holes. It is a 2 part 1:1 product you mix in small batches and squeege on the floor. I will leave a 'coating' on the other areas but WILL fill in the small holes.

I would suggest this method to FILL THEN if you want to 'seal' the floor use a GOOD epoxy. NEVER PAINT.

If you Cannot afford epoxy SAVE YOUR MONEY DO NOT PAINT. (you will thank me later)

I remember wanting to dispose of a bottle of muriatic acid, and figured I'd have a bit of fun... poured it full strength into a depression in a large concrete block, went upstream of the undoubtably incredibly healthy fumes, and came back to check on it an hour later... the depression in the block was twice the size. :)

I'd suggest a big wire brush in a power drill... if the areas are larger, you can get brushes for a 7" angle grinder, but if you don't already have them, they're expensive. Make sure to wear safety glasses, preferably with the addition of a full polycarbonate face shield (NOT a wire mesh one), and an appropriate respirator. If the whole floor is fucked up, you might try renting a floor sander like you'd use to strip hardwood, or a sandblaster.

--Bushytails

Go for epoxy, the powder is just a sign that damage is done, dampness will make it worse. Go for professional advice this one time you wont regret later.

Back